jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the best lens for indoor church wedding photography?

1. dappledesigns profile image89
    dappledesignsposted 4 years ago

What is the best lens for indoor church wedding photography?

2. alexmita profile image61
    alexmitaposted 4 years ago

Hi dappledesigns. When shooting indoors you would need a fast lens. When I say fast lens, I mean a lens with a large aperture. The wider the aperture, the more light will enter the camera, meaning you will be able to get faster shutter speeds. By getting faster shutter speeds, that means you will avoid getting "shaky" photos.
    For wedding photography, I would recommend prime lenses, (lenses that do not zoom in or out) like a 35mm, 50mm and 85mm. Prime lenses are usually cheaper than zoom lenses and come with wider apertures.
    The lower the number the bigger the aperture, so more light.
    Look for a minimum of f1.8 on the lens.
    Any wider than that and the lens will end up being very expensive. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
    There are lots more to talk about when it comes to lenses, but I recommend you take a beginners course in photography, where you can learn to make the most out of your equipment.

3. profile image0
    dallasweddingsposted 3 years ago

I would say a 35mm 1.4 lens. It allows a lot of light in for low light churches.

4. Jay Crihfield profile image71
    Jay Crihfieldposted 3 years ago

Something else to think about in addition to maximum lens aperture is a lens and/or camera body with some type of image stabilization.  Having a good IS system will all you to use slower shutter speeds and still produce a sharp image.  A great advantage of the Olympus micro 4/3 system is not only are very fast prime lenses available, the IS is built into the camera body rather than the lens.  So you have the ability to combine a fast 1.8/1.4 lens aperture along with a 5 axis image stabilization system for very acceptable low light, hand-held photography.

5. ZoLu Photography profile image60
    ZoLu Photographyposted 11 months ago

I would go for an 85mm 1.4 lens. I am very mobile during the wedding and rely on the 1.4 aperture to get fast pictures.