jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

How can you extend the time on using acrylic paint ? It dries too quickly on the

1. starstream profile image77
    starstreamposted 4 years ago

How can you extend the time on using acrylic paint ? It dries too quickly on the palette.

2. Faithful Daughter profile image86
    Faithful Daughterposted 4 years ago

You can use retarders or acrylic glazing liquids. The glazing liquids will thin the paints and slow down the drying process. There's also a new line of acrylics that has a slow drying time. They are called Open Acrylics, and are made by Golden.

3. preweb profile image71
    prewebposted 4 years ago

I use thinner for my paints, it gives good flow to the paints and it slows down drying of paints so quickly. Some use paint mediums for this purpose.

1. starstream profile image77
      starstreamposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know that thinner could be used for acrylic paints. Thanks

2. cat on a soapbox profile image96
      cat on a soapboxposted 3 years agoin reply to this

As Faithful Daughter comments below, the polymer mediums, either gloss or matte, extend the colors w/o breaking the pigment binders. They're
      great for thinning and glazing. There are also retarding mediums that slow drying. ( Liquitex , etc).

4. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 4 years ago

I have always used a spray bottle of water to keep my paints moist w/o diluting them. I use paper plates w/ layers of damp paper towels for my palette instead of a store-bought one too. If you have to take a break, cover over the palette w/ saran wrap or stick the whole thing in a larger zip-lock bag. This should help! smile

5. galleryofgrace profile image82
    galleryofgraceposted 4 years ago

I use a plastic divided plate that has a tight fitting lid as my palette. I cover it with saran wrap and then put on the lid. If I don't use the paint for a couple days, I add a couple drops of water or  a light spray of water.
    This works fine for me and I don't have to purchase thinners or extenders.
    Sometimes I mix special colors on a small palette or plastic dish which  can be covered in saran wrap and put in a zip lock bag.

6. Midnight Muse profile image81
    Midnight Museposted 14 months ago

I have had similar problems while using acrylic and was also discourage by the paint constantly drying on the brush bristles. Instead, I now use gouache which is a highly pigmented water color. It provides the same lush color that acrylics do, but you can also add a few drops of water to restore the excess paint so that you can use it again. I have found that gouache is more economic because of its ability to be reused and it does not ruin my brushes either. It's worth experimenting with if you have the time.

working