jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Does anyone have any pointers on decorative painting on wood?

1. JG11Bravo profile image86
    JG11Bravoposted 3 years ago

Does anyone have any pointers on decorative painting on wood?

I'm not much of a painter, but I've taken up bow making as a hobby and I'm working on a purely decorative longbow that requires some painting on the limbs.  I've tried it a couple of times now, and I really just have no talent for it.  Any tips?  Pointers? Suggestions?

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
    Phyllis Doyleposted 3 years ago

Look up Norwegian or Swedish folk art -- "stenciling on wood" is beautiful ,  does not take artistic talent and is easy to learn.

JG11Bravoposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Geez. Me, Mr. Viking History, and that never occured to me.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
      Phyllis Doyleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

OMGosh ! I love Viking history -- I was going to mention how skilled they were in this type of wood working and forgot.

3. JG11Bravo profile image86

So many hubs on the subject and never have I touched on the folk art. I should rectify that.

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
      Phyllis Doyleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you should write about their folk art. Just look at the beautiful scrolling on their ships.

3. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

You could also take digital art, print hi-res and transfer to wood using gel medium.  Start with a few pieces of scrapwood to get the feel for it, there's a little bit of a learning curve, but it's not difficult.  This way you can design in Photoshop, or purchase a design you like etc. and then do transfers that soak into the wood and look painted or drawn.

There are youtube tuts on how to do it and you can look up "how to do transfers with gel medium" and find some helpful directions. 

Otherwise I was going to suggest as Phyllis did, perhaps stenciling.

I'm gonna look into that gel medium thing for sure

working