Should street art be embraced?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Ian Hudson profile image67
    Ian Hudsonposted 13 years ago

Some street art is amazing. Peope who just tag on walls make the world look dreadful, but there are people who have real talent. e.g Banksy. Stencil work is taking off in the U.K and it is apearing in many different towns and citys now. A well thought out mural can also have an impact if done in the correct way. Towns and citys should have designated areas where this kind of work can be embraced, this could lead to less "bad" graffiti. Do you agree with my comments?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do agree street art should be encouraged, but it doesn't stop "bad" graffiti. We have several great murals around Sydney - some some painted by street artists, some by schoolkids, volunteers etc.  In many cases, the "taggers" have defaced these murals and ruined them.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image70
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, one man's art is another man's blasphemy, so...sometimes?

I like a lot of street art. I don't like the idea of my own property being defaced (or 'improved') by someone else without my permission.

If the artist is working in a temporary medium, like chalk, then I say go ahead and make all the art you want. It'll go away with the next heavy rain, so if someone doesn't like it, no worries. I'll drop some change into his hat while he's working. This kind of street art is like building a cool sand castle on a public beach. All in good fun, and it should be encouraged.

If the artist is working in a permanent medium, however, they'd better get permission from the owner of the structure, or from the civil authority in charge of it, before they start. Otherwise, it's still vandalism, no matter how pretty it is.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

I think street art should be observed. Hugging street art can get you some strange looks.
    There are many small towns in central California that have a lot of nice public murals that add to the character of the place.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree to a certain degree, but would you be saying the same if the mural was on the side of your home, or the side of your business?

Bearing in mind that before selling that home or business, at any stage in the future, cleaning it would be at your own expense?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree-- it should be done with the owner's permission or the municipality's OK.

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I am torn on this.

Some of the best art that I have seen is street art, I just wish that the Banksy wannabes would hone their skills before attempting to replicate.

I support designated areas, my town has them, but it doesn't stop the problem.

I enjoy some street art, but if I paid to renovate an end terrace house, render it, then pay somebody to paint it, before somebody came along with a spray can.... I would be furious.

I believe that deciding whether to prosecute those caught should rest with the property owners. If they caught somebody stenciling my home or business, I would happily settle for a face to face apology and for them to clean it off at their own expense. As opposed to criminal damage charges.

But others may, rightfully, wish to press charges for criminal damage.

4. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4409500.jpg
    Between art and graffiti is such a thin line...
    What do you consider this: Art?
    or Graffiti?

1. Jeff Berndt profile image70
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Art, but not art that I like.

More importantly: is it painted on a surface that the artist did not own, or have the owner's permission to paint on? If so, then it's also graffiti.

5. Ian Hudson profile image67
    Ian Hudsonposted 13 years ago

I must say, I would be cheesed off if someone sprayed a mural on the side of my house. I was thinking more on the lines of run down industrial buildings, away from houses. There are some murals in Sheffield city center what look great. These are done by profesional artists, these do make interesting viewing.

1. profile image0

I went to university in Sheffield, Ian.

Hallam to be precise, miss my West Street piss ups and the incredibly cheap fast food joints.

1. Ian Hudson profile image67
        Ian Hudsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

haha, small world. I will be sampling a few beers on West street saturday night. I will be doing my final year at Hallam. I have a group on face book called "Art of Sheffield" since you have studied here you qualify to join smile
        When did you attend?

1. profile image0

2005-2009 with a one year gap in between.

For the first year I lived at Norfolk Park in those old student digs, can't believe that I didn't get any trouble there to be honest. It was next door to a bail hostel.

Second year I lived down Eccy Road near the Starbucks, loved it down there, a fantastic street. If I ever lived in Sheffield again, it would be there.

Then I took a gap year.

Third year I lived at down London Road, muggers paradise. Hated it down there.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)