jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

After how many miles should tires on a vehicle be replaced?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

After how many miles should tires on a vehicle be replaced?

2. CookwareBliss profile image74
    CookwareBlissposted 6 years ago

I have been told by many that you should get your tires roted every 500 miles and replace you tires once the tred has worn down on the tires.

3. eric2112 profile image81
    eric2112posted 6 years ago

Generally, most tires have what is called 'wear-bars' molded into them and are placed regularly across the tread area of the tire. As the tire wears, these bars will be more and more visible.

If you are to the point where the bar is clearly visible without having to feel around, then it is time for your tires to be replaced.

If you are in the US, on trick to use is to take a penny and stick it into the tread 'head' first. If Abe's head is completely visible, then you are good to go, but anything less is a sign that you need new tires.

4. eddiecarrara profile image95
    eddiecarraraposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5892180_f260.jpg

Eric2112 is right, but there are other things to consider if your tires are getting old or if they are cheap tires. take a close look at the the rubber, look at the side wall and between the tread pattern, make sure the rubber is not dried, cracked and splitting. If you have old or cheap tires, this is something to keep in mind. I wrote a hub on tires that you might find informative, hope this helps.

http://eddiecarrara.hubpages.com/hub/Sh … ount-tires

5. athena2011 profile image57
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

I think that may be something that varies from tire manufacturer to tire manufacturer but I've always gone by the penny test since I was told about it by someone who worked in the industry.

So, bottom line, it really isn't based on a rule of thumb about mileage, you are better off checking the wear on your tires and making the decision based on that.

6. profile image51
    Buckeyes2012posted 6 years ago

It depends on many factors, but generally all you have to do is check the "wear bar" on the tire.

7. bilboburgler profile image70
    bilboburglerposted 6 years ago

when the thread is down to 1.5mm.  It ain't the length, it's the depth

8. LoisRyan13903 profile image81
    LoisRyan13903posted 4 years ago

Tires can last you a long time.  When you take you car in for an oild change have them rotate and balance the tires and make sure you do a wheel alignment at least once a year-every six months in you drive a lot.  When you take a car in for a safety inspection, the mechanic will measure the tread, if it is less than what is allowed, they will not pass the car.  I usually get new tires every 2-3 years

9. profile image56
    writerscramp570posted 4 years ago

If they are low milage tires, then I would replace them every two years, but if they are high quality tires with say 30000 mile warranty then replace them after the warranty runs out or tread runs around 1/8 inch depth.

10. profile image57
    SimonRiveraposted 2 years ago

Hello Vicki…
    Your question can not be answered with a clear-cut figure, because no one can exactly say how long a tire would last. As such an ideal tire is expected to run at least for 50,000 miles but it’s not like unchangeable truth. There are several factors like quality, tread-wear rating, weather effect etc. responsible for its overall working. Obviously, a new wheel would last longer than used one, for instance you can see http://wheels.net/wheels/geo-rim.html. Which manufacturing firm has made the wheels also possess great importance, because several unauthentic manufacturers don’t pay much attention on quality guidelines while making of wheels, hence one should be alter before making selection.

working