jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

How many miles do you drive to get to work?

1. rutley profile image74
    rutleyposted 6 years ago

How many miles do you drive to get to work?

Does it cut deep into your paycheck?

2. KStro18 profile image82
    KStro18posted 6 years ago

I drive 8 miles each way for a total of 16 miles a day! Not far at all!

3. Cammiebar profile image76
    Cammiebarposted 6 years ago

About a total of 40 miles a day.  20 there, and 20 back.  Not much I can do about it smile

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Four miles one way, along a river.  My 4 wheel drive doesn't get very good mileage but I only go to work 2 days a week so it isn't bad for me money-wise.

5. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

Don't drive to work, but I'll answer anyway.  I walk, from the main part of our home to the office....and it costs the price of a fresh cup of coffee, prepared in my kitchen......Save on office attire (my robe, quite often) and there's no gossip at the water cooler, since I work alone.  I get great performance reviews, frequent raises, paid time off and NUMEROUS Employee of the Year awards!  Best job in the world.  Nothing cuts into my paycheck but shopping sprees.

6. helmutbiscut profile image76
    helmutbiscutposted 6 years ago

Depends on where I'm working.  I work all over the state of Ohio and southeast Michigan.

7. Deborah-Diane profile image83
    Deborah-Dianeposted 6 years ago

I drive 11 miles to work, and about half of that is through the beautiful Laguna Wildlife Preserve.  Pretty nice commute for Southern California where most people have horrible commutes!!

8. Amy Becherer profile image72
    Amy Bechererposted 6 years ago

Before the economy took my job a year ago, I drove 90-miles round-trip to and from work everyday.  The cost in time was approximately 2-1/4 hours.  The financial cost was also considerable, although I did not complain, as I took the job with full knowledge of the drive and drove a small, fuel efficient vehicle. 

I had just finalized my divorce and chose my apartment with logistics in mind.  The drive would have been about 12 to 15 minutes.  To my shock, I was laid off as I was moving into my new digs.  I have yet to find another job, despite my efforts to do so.  I am now considering trying an errand service for seniors, which I will limit to the highly populated neighborhood I live in to keep the ever rising expense of driving to a minimum.

9. Mindtrapz profile image61
    Mindtrapzposted 6 years ago

I drive approx. 20 miles to work each day. It cuts in my paycheck like some dull scissors. I drive an old 93 camaro and it gets roughly 20-25 mpg depending on how heavy footed I am.

10. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

None. I work from home. My school takes a lot more. I go to two colleges. One is five minutes away from my home and doesn't do much to my paycheck. But for one class, I have to drive for an hour to get there. It really kills my bills. Instead of filling my tank once every two weeks, its now once a week...

11. hazelwood4 profile image75
    hazelwood4posted 6 years ago

I drive about 50 miles a day round trip. No, not to bad. My car gets about 25 miles to the gallon, so it doesn't cut to bad into the pocketbook.

12. athena2011 profile image54
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

Luckily, with gas prices the way they are now and expected to rise, I work from home so my answer is Zero. I feel for those who have long commutes to work these days as it is very expensive and time consuming.

working