How can I grow herbs that will survive the winter in Roswell, New Mexico?

1. AnnNoE profile image59
    AnnNoEposted 6 years ago

How can I grow herbs that will survive the winter in Roswell, New Mexico?

I recently moved from Southern California where I grew a lot of different herbs year round. Now I live in Roswell, NM and the only thing that survived (I had to bring it inside) the winter is sage - and that not too well. How can I maintain a good selection of herbs for cooking and for spells in this new climate?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6198081_f260.jpg

2. davenmidtown profile image90
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

Think about building small cold frames around your herbs.  This can be pretty easy to do with pvc pipe and clear plastic. My sister lives in the higher elevations of Arizona and it gets pretty cold there... she uses something called "walls of water" which she says works well but I have no idea what exactly that it. You can also build hot beds which use raw compost as a heat source and then use that in conjunction with a cold frame. I have also seen cold frames build out of cinder blocks and old windows. The goal would be to keep the space sealed as air is a poor conductor of heat.  If the air does not move within the cold frame it will maintain some  heat. If you have questions or want more advice you can let me know.

3. crazyhorsesghost profile image78
    crazyhorsesghostposted 6 years ago

There is really no way to do it outside in the winter in your area. You would have to grow them indoors or in a small green house.

working