jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is Danika Patrick endangering NASCAR drivers with Indy car habit of releasing th

1. MrsSusanEstes profile image61
    MrsSusanEstesposted 5 years ago

Is Danika Patrick endangering NASCAR drivers with Indy car habit of releasing the wheel in a crash?

NASCAR drivers control through their crashes while Indy car drivers release the steering wheel. In open wheel driving this is safer, but should Danika continue this practice, allowing her car to careen freely amid the other cars going 200 mph on the NASCAR track?

2. Juliek958 profile image62
    Juliek958posted 5 years ago

The announcers discussed this very thing during Daytona last night...those last 40 laps gave them plenty of time to discuss all aspects of a crash.  They also showed Kasey Kahne releasing the wheel and said that more and more drivers are learning this as a safer way to handle a crash.  Generally, NASCAR races average around 140 mph while CART push the 200 mph envelope.  So no, DaniCa is not endangering NASCAR drivers and as discussed last night, more and more drivers are adopting this practice. 

Personally, I think the "tapping" and going three wide is far more dangerous for drivers then having Danica Patrick on the track.

3. Powerful Pierre profile image79
    Powerful Pierreposted 5 years ago

For some reason that probably she knows it's her personal preference, and having seen her last two "careens" would it really have mattered. Obviously NASCAR has not said anything to curb it as far as I know. Personally I 'd hang on for my life but I'm not her conscience.

4. MrsSusanEstes profile image61
    MrsSusanEstesposted 5 years ago

Me, I'd hang on too, having lost my brakes going down a hill into a blind intersection, all I wanted to do was get my car back under control. Granted, I wasn't going 150+ mph at the time but it was enough speed to be too much for no control. (No one was coming into the intersection when I went through it, and I ended on the lawn of the house trailer at the bottom of the hill with a few dents.)

5. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

I was entertained...and that's what it's about and why they get paid the big bucks.

6. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

i think it's a bad idea myself. nothing against her personally, but i don't think Nascar is where she should be.

7. proudtobeadad profile image62
    proudtobeadadposted 5 years ago

If you watch the in car tape of Jimmie Johnson's crash at Daytona you will see when the car is totally out of control he puts his hands across his chest.  I think it is a common practice.

8. adjkp25 profile image92
    adjkp25posted 5 years ago

I don't think she is unnecessarily endangering anyone else by letting go of the wheel.

As we learned, when the 42 crashed into the track dryer, the cars do not always respond to the wheel anyway.  How many times have cars gone back up the track into oncoming traffic during a wreck?  I'm sure the driver was trying to keep the car on the infield and it just wouldn't listen.

Sometimes the driver is just along for the ride anyway, letting go of the wheel might not change anything.

working