jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you think electric cars will become the norm for people to buy in the near fu

1. BRIAN SLATER profile image87
    BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago

Do you think electric cars will become the norm for people to buy in the near future.

2. profile image0
    Gusserposted 6 years ago

Coal powered cars are a joke. Electricity comes from coal power. Oil is still the only way to go in the next several decades.

3. debbie roberts profile image82
    debbie robertsposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure if electric cars will become the norm in the near future, but it they will certainly become more popular. I wouldn't hesitate to get one when we can afford one, the only thing I would worry about living here is that there are no garages that would be able to deal with a problem on an electric car and no quick charge points at the garages.
    One day for sure, but soon? I'm not so sure,.

4. okaygrace profile image61
    okaygraceposted 6 years ago

If they figure out how to make the battery last longer than 70 miles then yes. I have a hybrid and would get an electric vehicle but drive way too much and don't want to take the risk of running out of power.

5. MJ Miller profile image79
    MJ Millerposted 6 years ago

I think it will be a long time before electric cars become the norm, if ever. Right now the technology just isn't there. They don't have the range to be practical and the cost is still too high. There's also the problem of the batteries. They won't last the life of the car, so besides the price of the vehicle to begin with, you have to factor in the cost of replacing the batteries periodically.

That said, I think there is a high potential for electric hybrids to take a bigger share of the market in the next few years. They solve some of the problems inherent in the electrics, in that they have unlimited range, they greatly increase the mpg and cost is more inline with conventional technology cars. They also don't have as many batteries to worry about.

It will be interesting to see if they can make all electric cars more practical in the next decade. I don't really see it happening though.

6. wiserworld profile image91
    wiserworldposted 6 years ago

I think we should have nuclear powered cars.

It could be a problem if there are ever any collisions on the road though. We'd be paying an arm and a leg for insurance -- pardon the intended pun.

working