jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can truck drivers really be held accountable for accidents when they are pushed

1. MrsGray32 profile image60
    MrsGray32posted 4 years ago

Can truck drivers really be held accountable for accidents when they are pushed to the limits.

Doctors have to ok the driver to drive by oking their medical card. So far since ive been with my husband the same medical company has ok'd him to drive regardless or failing a hearing test, eye chart, breathing problem as well as high blood pressure. My husband had also encountered a dr whom Crossed out "seizure like activity" on my husbands medical file and preceeded to give him his medical card.  Also Dispatchers! Driving truck can be tiring, regardless of how long you sleep. They do not give truckers the chance to nap and refresh if they need.
    How can the drivers be blamed?

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

This will sound harsh, but they should be blamed because they chose to get behind the wheel and drive the truck. If a driver knows he's too tired to drive, he needs to take the risk of being fired by taking a longer nap. If he has medical conditions which could possibly lead to accidents, he needs to voluntarily give up the job. If a person knows they have seizures and the doctor tells them they're ok to drive a car but they know they shouldn't and they smash into your vehicle, do you blame that driver? Of course you would. The truck driving issue is all a matter of personal responsibility. No one can force you to do something you know you shouldn't be doing. Is the job really worth risking your own and other people's lives?

3. bethperry profile image91
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

I can sympathize with the situation you and your husband face, but having a seizure disorder myself, I also know that if I got behind the wheel of a car it is possible I could cause an accident without even blinking an eye. So I have to say yes, if your husband knows he has these medical conditions, with or without the ok from the medical company, the final decision to drive is up to him. And if he is driving and one of his known condition leads to an accident, I am sorry, but he is culpable.

By the same token, any medical company that looks the other way should be held accountable for their indifference, too.

4. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 4 years ago

Well assuming you did not have to tell us any of this and because these drivers are getting checked out for a reason by people to be relied upon then yes they (the doctors) are the ones responsible and apparently they have something to gain by allowing these risks and should be held accountable, indeed! They are being paid to be honest I would assume and if they are being paid to be dishonest then someone should be notified. I am not sure who you would trust with this information. Not sure if FBI would have anything to do with these matters or not but I am sure you could check with them to find out who you can trust this information with. I would not just let it go, thereby being responsible yourself for potential deaths of innocent people, children included.

working