This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

How long should someone wait for a text after texting the first time?

1. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 5 years ago

How long should someone wait for a text after texting the first time?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7874054_f260.jpg

2. peachpurple profile image84
    peachpurpleposted 5 years ago

30min or so. If you text someone you know, he may text u back promptly. If someone you not familiar with, he may think how to answer you b4 texting.

3. stricktlydating profile image83
    stricktlydatingposted 5 years ago

Wait up to a few hours for a reply incase the recipient is out or busy (Has visitors etc).

lisasuniquevoiceposted 4 years agoin reply to this

stricktlydating,
      No one should expect a reply really fast or they should have called instead.
      Thanks,
      Lisa

4. dashingscorpio profile image89
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

I'm still partial to the "old school" way of communicating. If I want talk to someone I'll call them. If I just want to pass on some information then an email or text is the way the way to go.
    In my opinion the purpose of a text or (timing a call) in order to leave voicemail is when you really don't want to deal with a live person. Some people also do this in order to have the other person contact them.
    Either way at the end of the day it all depends on what text stated. If someone did not ask a question, request a call, or some other (call to action) then the text could be deemed as a statement.  Examples  such as "Have a nice day." or "Miss you." although people often respond there is no requirement made of the reader to do so. On the other hand if you text: "How are things going with you today?" and don't get a reply then that may imply they don't want to be in contact with you.
    Unfortunately a text can also be claimed to not have been (received) by the person or they have been experiencing "problems with their phone"...etc Unless it happens multiple times you'll never know their intentions.

5. rainpurplewine profile image81
    rainpurplewineposted 5 years ago

The beauty of a text is that people can reply whenever they feel,sometimes the next day even.  It's not like a phone call that has to be answered right away.  However, if you are in a texting conversation where the texts are moving rapidly within minutes of each other,then that's different.  The wait should only be 30 to an hour, otherwise the person prob is busy.  If you send someone a random text they may not reply right away,because a lot of times text can get lost.

rainpurplewine,
      I agree that texting can move very quickly at times. Then you know that the person is going to come back with something probably within a few minutes.
      Thanks,
      Lisa

6. lupine profile image73
    lupineposted 5 years ago

It depends who it is, and how important the response is needed. If important, I would say 10 minutes. If casual, a couple of hours, or at the end of the day. You would need to consider if this person is working, in a meeting or appointment, in the shower, busy with caring for a baby, or even driving, etc.

lupine,
      We always have to consider that a person may be driving, and if they are we don't even want them looking at their phone.
      Thank you,
      Lisa

7. baja2013 profile image70
    baja2013posted 5 years ago

Till the end of the day. Then new day, new message... And don't worrie, be happy!

8. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

I am not trying to be rude, but if you are texting me and I do not know you, do not expect an answer. If I know you and it is not an emergency, I will call you when I can.

If I send out five text messages a month, I am probably over estimating.

Larry Wall,
      Everyone who texts thinks that their information is an emergency. I watch these people. A lot of them just go on answering and writing texts no matter who's in the room,and no matter what's going on.
      Thanks for your comment,
      Lisa

9. stunned56 profile image56
    stunned56posted 4 years ago

I do not text again, until I get an answer. If I am not answered I can call, but only if I worry that something bad could happen.

stunned,
      Welcome to Hub Pages!!!! In regards to your answer, I'd say you're right about the fact that you can always make a call if it's necessary.
      Keep answering questions, and come up with some of your own too. Good luck with your hubs.
      Lisa

working