jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Why are over half of mustang owners women?

1. optimus grimlock profile image53
    optimus grimlockposted 7 years ago

I'm not a mustang fan sorry (camaro's eat them alive) but every time I see someone drive a mustang its a women! Thats why I call it a bitchstang lol

1. DdraigX profile image69
      DdraigXposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Because Mustangs were originally marketed to women.

1. Sally's Trove profile image84
        Sally's Troveposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That's kind of interesting. I didn't know that. What I do know is that a friend of mine received a '65 red mustang as a high school graduation present from her parents. Hmmmm....maybe that says it all.

2. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Where did you find that information? roll

Mustangs were and have always been a Man's car, just like the Camaro has always been a muscle car.

Women like mustangs, because they know it's a connection to men who know about cars. Plus, mustangs are slight more feminine in looks. Men will fall over themsleves for women in either car type, especially if they have the looks to match the car.

Other types of women, such as tomboys, like and enjoy, and understand the thrill behind the muscle car. These sort of women are also highly attractive to many sorts of men.

So, I would say it varies quite a bit, but if you are seeing more women in them, then I would say that it is your imagination getting the best of you or your timing for when you see the car happens because you see the women first(looks/appearance) and then notice the car. lol

But, just a thought. smile

1. Sally's Trove profile image84
          Sally's Troveposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Interesting. Maybe that '65 Mustang was, for a girl, boy bait. (As you say.) Maybe the original marketing strategy (man's car) kind of took a twist in the minds of young girls at the time.

The Mustang was definitely not a high performance car like a Corvette, nor did it have the low-ride sleek appeal of a Camaro or Firebird.

I do know my friend was the envy of every one of her classmates, boys and girls alike. What a status symbol she got for her graduation gift.

2. DdraigX profile image69
          DdraigXposted 7 years ago in reply to this

"Truth be told, women have been 35 percent of Mustang's buying audience since the line's inception in 1965. The original car, manufactured by Ford, was targeted toward women and marketed as a secretary's car. The ads back then showed a woman getting into a Mustang at a dealership. "The initial designers of the Mustang wanted something that appealed to women so that they could convince their husbands to get one," adds Rounds. "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 01397.html

There you go big_smile

1. earnestshub profile image88
            earnestshubposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I thought the early Mustangs were a sensible car in many ways, using common sedan components, maintenance was cheap.
            As well as having good looks, it would have appealed to a practical young lady for this reason as well.

3. profile image54
          MissMustangLoverposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm a woman and I GO NUTS over Mustangs. I even have one. I used to count how many I saw in one day.

2. optimus grimlock profile image53
    optimus grimlockposted 7 years ago

2 guys garage from a rew years ago! part of the power block on tnn on saturdays

3. rebekahELLE profile image89
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I see more women than men driving mustangs. I know a 79 year old woman who drives a convertible. A young girl at work drives a blue one with wide white striPes.
    There is a guy in our neighborhood who sits in his garage listening to oldies in his mustang, with the car running, garage door is open.

4. ahorseback profile image47
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

All hogwash , give me a girl in a flatbed ford truck , I'll show you a real woman! .  I knew the first woman on a harley too . where are you guys from sissy land!?

working