jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Auto break down blues,,,,

1. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 7 years ago

So the past few days I've been working on my old Dodge 2500 Ram van mark III. Anyone here who works on cars knows the routine.

You fix one thing, then because that part works great and puts more power to other parts another part fails, and so on,,, sad

It's like playing domino's with your car parts, fix one to have the next one break. So finally today I spend around 500 bucks for a mobile auto guy to work on it with the same results.

Long story is after spending 3 days of work on it and around 700 bucks it's not any better than when I started!!

So I'm off to buy a cheapo used car that works better than what I have now. Sometimes it's just not worth the effort to fix an old truck,,, but by the time you know it you've lost time and money,,, sad

1. Aficionada profile image90
      Aficionadaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Bummer, bummer...

Been there, done that, and my sympathies are with you.  Hope you find a good one that will make this "long story" look not so bad in the long run.

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 7 years ago

My husband had a '70 F500 truck that he kept saying he was going to do up. Luckily he sold it.

That only leaves five cars he's "working on".

I wish he'd get the fact that all that money would be better going into a newer (working) car!

3. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 7 years ago

You have made your decision.

Put off the new purchase and accumulate as much buying money as possible.

Use the time for research!

Good luck on this, same situation.

4. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 7 years ago

Yeah I'm trying to pay cash for a used car, I don't want to get a loan for one. My truck was paid off a long time ago but it's just not safe anymore.

I can go another month with my truck to save up before getting a car. I'll just use my parking brake and 1st gear to stop! big_smile

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hate to sound as if I haven't had crappy cars all my life but...

There's another way to stop? big_smile

Bill Manningposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You too huh, LOL! Actually most of my life I've bought new autos. But over time I've seen how much money you waste buying a box with 4 wheels on it.

IMO cars should not cost over $6,000 brand new. I mean really, it's a tin box with an engine in it. On the other hand I do enjoy driving my friends brand new jet black Chevy Camaro,,,  smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image90
      rebekahELLEposted 7 years agoin reply to this

no fun! be safe. the traffic is crazy over there.

Bill Manningposted 7 years agoin reply to this

True, driving in Orlando is not like out in the country. If I drive slow I just get dick@sses passing me, then pulling fast in front of me. Maybe one of them will not be doing that so often soon.  lol

Don't worry, since I work at home I only need to go out once a week. I'll get a car within a few weeks, promise. smile

working