How To Prevent Being Killed-Great Advice

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

I didn't know where to post this. Health seemed the right place because to be alive is good health.
    I got this from someone and they want it passed on so all can read it.

Crucial  

Because of recent abductions In daylight hours, refresh yourself of these things to do in an emergency situation...  
    This is for you, and for you to share with your wife, your children,everyone you know.  
    It never hurts to be careful in this crazy world we live in.   

1.Tip from Tae Kwon Do:  
    The elbow is the strongest point on your body.If you are close enough to use it,do!   

2.Learned this from a tourist guide.  
    If a robber asks   for your wallet and/or purse,  

DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM .  
    Toss it away from you....Chances are that he is more interested  
    in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go   for the wallet/purse.  
    RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!  

3.If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car,  
    kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole  
    and start waving like crazy..  
    The driver won't see you, but everybody else will.  
    This has saved lives.  

4.  Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their chequebook, or making a list, etc.  
    DON'T DO THIS!)  
    The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go.  
    AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR   ,  
    LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE..

If someone is in the car with a gunto your head  
    DO NOT DRIVE OFF, Repeat:DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything,wrecking the car.  
    Your Air Bag will save you.  
    If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it   .  
    As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location..

5.A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:  
    A.)  Be aware: look around you,look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat  
    B.)  If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door .  
    Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.  C.)  Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side...If a male is sitting alone  
    in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.  
    IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)  

6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs.  
    Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot.  
    This is especially true at NIGHT!)  

7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control,  
    ALWAYS RUN!  
    The predator will only hit you   (a running target)  
    4 in 100 times; and even then,it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, Preferably in a zig -zag pattern!

8. As women,we are always trying to be sympathetic:  
    STOP  
    It may get you raped, or killed.  
    Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women.  
    He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked for help'into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.  

9. Another Safety Point:  
    Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird.. The police told her  
    'Whatever you do, DO NOT  
    open the door...'  
    The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street   and get run over.  
    The policeman said, 'We already have a unit on the way,whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.'  
    He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby's cry recorded  and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they hear baby's cries outside their doors when they're home alone at night.  

10 . Water scam!  
    If you wake up in the middle 
of the night to hear all your taps outside running or what you think is a 
burst pipe, DO NOT GO OUT TO INVESTIGATE! These people turn on all your 
outside taps full ball so that you will go out to investigate and 
then attack. 

Stay alert, keep safe, and look out for your neighbors!  
    Please pass this on  
    This should probably be taken seriously because the Crying Baby Theory was mentioned on  
    America 's Most Wanted when they profiled the serial killer in Louisiana 

I'd like you to forward this to all the women you know.  
    It may save a life. A candle is not dimmed by lighting another candle..  
    I was going to send this to the ladies only, but guys, if you love your mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, etc., you may want to   pass it onto them, as well.  

The world we live in has a lot of crazies in it and it's better to be safe than sorry...  
    Everyone should take 5 minutes to read this. It may save your life or love one's life  

Thank you,
    Nancy Rodgers

NWSC - CPSENERGY
    SR. CLERK

1. profile image57
      patspnnposted 14 years agoin reply to this
      1. profile image57
        patspnnposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  2. Jery profile image61
    Jeryposted 14 years ago

Letting fear rule your life could be it's own prison, but I think you've made some very valid points. I think just being aware of your surroundings and the people around you and just having a little common sense.
    One thing I might add is if you have a gun for protection, don't bring it out until it's time to use it, and then use it! If you think you can just threaten a bad guy with it (like in the movies) you are taking a really big chance of something going wrong, like the bad guy taking it away from you!

3. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Thank you for posting this.  There are several things I never thought of, especially crashing your vehicle, rather than being kidnapped.

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am glad it gave you good information.
      I like the part about kicking out the lights and waving the arm. This of course would only work if you're not tied up tightly.

4. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i feel sorry for any idiot who tries to hurt me. i am small but feisty when cornered. one time this man chased me up the stairs into my apartment. i ran faster than him and slammed the door in his face and called the cops. they told me to buy a gun because this wasn't the first incident where i was accosted by strange men. my apartment was right off a busy street and people came and went at all hours.

i bought a gun and learned how to use it.

then one night sure enough i saw him amble up the steps at twilight and he was out front and he took the lightbulb out of the lantern in front of my door. i could hear it going -squeak-squeak- as he was unscrewing it, then he started pounding on the door. i wasn't scared exactly. i was more angry. i went and got my revolver and tapped it on the door and started yelling, saying 'you know what that is? a gun. it's pointed right at you and if you don't get the ^%$$ out right now, i am goig to blow your head off' and i heard him clamoring down the steps two at a time probably, and he never bothered me again.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Good on you, cossette.  That's a scary situation, but it sounds like you scared the pee out of smart guy. big_smile

These are good tips.  The takeaway is that to always comply is somewhat irresponsible advice for people to be given.  Most of these tips are counter to that, and there are many real-world examples of non-compliance being a more effective deterrent.

Don't forget about awareness.  Not paranoia...awareness.  No reason another person should be able to approach you in a parking lot without you having already seen them coming.

2. profile image0

When I was younger and my son was 5, My husband was away and he asked his friend Don to check up on me. Don stayed about ten minutes and as he was leaving I yelled goodnight Don.
      I got my son to bed and laid down myself. About 15 minutes later Someone knocked on the door. I went to the door and asked who is it. The voice said "Don" I left the chain on the door and opened it to see what he wanted. Two men wearing stockings on their faces jumped toward the door and broke the change. One of the men held a knife on me while the other filled a pillowcase with silver, jewelry, money. My son begged them not to hurt his mommy. I froze. I always thought I would be able to make a move in this type of situation. Fear for my son and the shock of the event showed me differently. The men were never found.

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG

that is scary! i am so glad you and your son weren't hurt! these creeps think nothing about violating a family's sanctuary (their home), and terrorizing its occupants.

yep. awareness is definitely key. i have encountered more, shall we say, odd men in parking garages, elevators and whatnot that really gave me pause. one night i was walking to my car and there was this really tall man walking around, waving his arms and practically raving. that was creepy. so i ducked behind a huge concrete pole and waited for him to finish making the rounds, then i raced to my car and slipped in.

another time i was working really late (on the fifth floor) and the elevator stopped and there was this guy in there. he just looked weird, and something made me feel not right, so i hesitated. he looked at me and said "are you coming?" and i said "oh, I forgot something" and the door closed and he looked disappointed. then I walked the stairs down all the way.

I have learned to trust my instinct. another time I was loading groceries from my car up two flights of stairs to my apartment and of course, you park right there on the street. a man came along and asked me if I needed help and I said 'sure' and he helped me bring my groceries up the stairs and I thought 'hey, there's a strange man in my apartment'. but he was very polite and left right away and afterwards I thought how badly that could have gone if he was a freak. but again, my instinct told me he was ok.

I agree, being paranoid is no way to live. you just have to be aware and trust your own instincts.

5. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Super thread.  I especially appreciate the warnings on the Baby Cry and Water Scam.  Not for us personally--Pam and I are PP and TTD (Paranoia-Permeated and Tuned To Danger) to the bone.  But a whole lot of readers may not think of such things.

Your point is also spot on, Jery.  I've never understood folks letting firearms get taken away from them, yet it still happens all the time.

6. alexandriaruthk profile image60
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

this is a hub, but thanks for the safety precautions

1. profile image0

Since this is a letter from Nancy Rodgers
      NWSC - CPSENERGY
      SR. CLERK
      I didn't want to post somethingon a hub not belonging to me.
      I also thought more people would see it on the forums

7. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Good advice. I always walk up to my car from behind. If I were to see anyone in it or that it had been messed with - I would just keep on walking like it wasn't my car. And I always carry my keys in my hand with the biggest one protruding between my first two fingers-ready if I need to fight. As a woman I have always been aware that I need to be prepared to defend myself. Now that I have a cane to walk, I have wondered..Does the cane show me to be a vulnerable target or does it balance out that it could be used as a weapon? I do wonder.
    In any case, good advice.Holly

8. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

I have received this as an email once or twice. If you could verify the source, or expand on it, this would make an excellent hub. Thanks for posting it!

9. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Excellent information!  Thanks for posting this, and this would make a terrific hub!

10. cajunhank profile image62
    cajunhankposted 14 years ago

very good article with good sound advice

11. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I have recieved this via e-mail multiple times but thanks for sharing it again.smile

12. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

RUNNNNNNN!!!!!

13. William R. Wilson profile image62
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

Don't ever allow someone to take you somewhere else.  The hub/email/post addresses this a little but I wanted to restate it. 

If someone threatens you and tries to take you somewhere other than where you are, scream, run, fight like hell because he is taking you somewhere where he feels safe, and once he feels safe he will do what he wants.  If he's trying to get you to go somewhere else it's because he doesn't feel safe, and that's when you want to fight because he's much more likely to let you go. 

I've heard this called point A (where you are accosted) and point B (where they take you).  Most murders happen at point B. 

Don't ever go with someone.

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've heard that from many sources. Police say even if you risk getting shot or hurt on the spot it's better to do that in public and maybe get away that to go along and increase the odds tenfold that you will be murdered.

In other words, if he wants to take you somewhere, he's probably going to kill you so you have nothing to lose by making noise and trying to get away.

14. William R. Wilson profile image62
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

@Cosette:  LOL. Way to go!

15. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

This is a pretty good thread, some very useful info here. As a kid out playing I often would see someone that just didn't seem right and made me uncomfortable so it was time to go home. I got followed home more then once but I suspect that if I had not decided to go home it would have been more then being followed!

These days I have a huge key chain, like a mace in some ways lol If someone makes me uncomfortable I get my keys out and just kinda play with em ready to use em as a weapon if needed, luckily tho I have not needed to. Another good tip is that the heal of the hand (palm if you call it that) is pretty strong and can deliver a good blow, followed up by a hand behind the head forcing it into your knee is going to do a lot of damage should you get the chance. A fist can cause you broken bones unless you know how to punch and is not advisable really. At the end of the day if something makes you uncomfortable or suspicious there is probably a good reason for it and having some sort of weapon in hand may keep you from being an easy target.

16. It's just me profile image60
    It's just meposted 14 years ago

A little over a year ago in Oklahoma I contacted the police because we had a peeping tom peek in my daughters bedroom window. They didn't catch him. A few days later someone broke into my storage room but they coudn't get into the main part of my house from there. I again called the police and again they didn't catch them. A week later I woke up about 5 am and the tap outside was running full bore. I waited until 7:30 am when all my neighbors were up and getting kids off to school and or going to work to go outside and turn it off. I had a water bill from he** but we were safe. A month later the back door neighbors son in law was arrested for child sexual abuse.....Hmmmm could that have been the guy causing all these problems more than likely because as soon as he was arrested I stopped having problems around my house at night.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)