- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
- Job Searches»
- Local Job Searches
Medical and Aerospace Jobs Huntsville, Alabama
Robotic Lunar Lander Project at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville
Space City Hi-Tech Research
Hunstville, Alabama can be called Space City, since it has been an aerospace hub since the early 1950s, when the plan for NASA was conceived under the administration of President Dwight D. Eisenhower.The progress made since that time is astounding, with astronauts and private parties ready to go to the moon and Mars for their lifetimes.
In the 21st Century, its diverse economy in Madison and Limestone Counties in the north of the state still includes NASA, aeronautics and aerospace business, national defense and related technologies and emerging industries.
In fact, in the year 2008, America celebrated its 50th year of space exploration, the Saturn V Museum at the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville opened, and Space Camp Huntsville enjoyed its 25th year anniversary. Relative to this, Cummings Research Park has been successful since 1962 as the 4th largest research park globally and second in the USA.
Hunstville, Alabama has been an aerospace hub since the early 1950s when the plan for NASA was conceived under the administration of President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Huntsville Recognitions As a Best City
- November 2008 - Madison County recognized as one of the top Best Places to Live to survive a falling economy.
- November 2008 - Expansion Solution's Top 5 cities in the US for Aerospace Companies.
- September 2008 - US News & World Report's 10 Best Cities for Job-seeking Retirees
- February 2009 - A leading city in the American South for Defense Jobs
- January 2009 - Standard & Poor’s highest “AAA” bond rating for local economic strength.
- January 2009 - Yahoo HotJobs' 10 Great Cities for Salary Growth.
- Popular Science - A 2008 Top Green City.
- Forbes: The 2010 Best City for Business and Careers.
- Money: The most affordable city in which to live. (2010)
- Moody's: Number one in job growth. (2010)
- Huntsville Awarded Prestigious Gold Rating for Sustainable Initiatives (2014)
New Recognitions For Huntsville
- June 2014 - Huntsville is Number One Best City for Employee Recognition.
- September 2014 - Aerojet Rocketdyne opens new office in Huntsville.
- October 2014 - Alabama Robotics Technology Park began construction.
- January - December 2014 -- Several companies in NASA Commercial Crew received contracts.
- .January 2015 - Polaris announced new Huntsville manufacturing plant, 2,000 jobs.
- March 2015 - Torch Technologies broke ground on new plant.
- March 2015 - Cummins Research Park under planning phase.
A Smart City
- Huntsville Awards
Huntsville/Madison County, Alabama, is a smart place to live, work and play because of the number of high-paying jobs in aerospace, engineering, defense and biotechnology and the overall quality of life.
Huntsville Hospital was awarded the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Blue Distinction Recognition for cardiac care, knee and hip replacement, and bariatric surgery programs.
First US Animal in Space.Click thumbnail to view full-size
Founded after the American Revolution, Huntsville began as an agricultural economy that included cotton. The railroad was also a large contributor to economic growth for passengers and freight transport.After US Civil War reconstruction, Huntsville became a center of the cotton and cotton textiles industries until the end of the 1990s.
Redstone Arsenal of the US Army brought increased traffic and incoming residents to the area in the early 1940s. As Marshall Space Flight Center was opened in 1960, further economic development occurred with the new employee pool, accompanied by growth in sciences, engineering and technologies and related manufacturing. The US Army Aviation & Missile Command joined the military industrial complex in Huntsville as well, with major functions during the long Cold War.
When the Apollo Mission was completed, Huntsville was temporarily at a loss economically, but the US Space Shuttle Program of the 1980s revived growth.
The 1990s and 2000s saw a surge in privatization of certain aspects of space exploration and commercial business, which expanded rapidly from 2009 - 2015 and surpassing projections. In the last quarter of 2015, the Greater Huntsville Area was home to over 436,000 people, an increase of over 18,000 residents in five years' time.
Visit US Army/ Redstone Arsenal at www.garrison.redstone.army.mil/ and learn more about Greater Huntsville.
Fast Growing Jobs in Medicine and Space
The State of Alabama has reported in its economic outlook reports at the end of December 2008 and December 2014 that the Greater Huntsville Area has maintained the highest concentration of engineers in the USA.
Employers creating the highest numbers of new engineering and related jobs openings in Huntsville include the following high-tech firms:
- Teledyne Brown Engineering - Commercial physical/biological research
- WILL Technology - Computer integrated systems
- DHS Systems - Manufacture of canvas products
- ERC, Inc. - Commercial physical/biological research
- AEgis Technologies - Commercial physical/biological research
Additional companies producing relatively higher numbers of new jobs also specialize in Biotechnologies and Bioengineering for the 21st century.
Aerospace Industries have supplied new and abundant jobs in Huntsville since before the advent of the Redstone Rocket here decades ago, shown below.
Redstone Arsenal: Number One Employer In Huntsville
A Redstone Rocket was the type that send the first US satellite into orbit around the Earth. It was created and developed by Dr. Werhner von Braun in Texas, but was transferred to Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville in 1950.
Redstone Arsenal is where engineers was named the Redstone Rocket complete in 1952, after the coloring of the local soil and bedrock. I can still see the red soils in and around Huntsville when I drive through the area today.
Top Employers In Greater Huntsville
- US Army - Redstone Arsenal - Government and civilian employees make up a 15,000+ person staff, invaluable to our public and private aerospace economy and national defense.
- Huntsville Hospital System Health Care
- The Boeing Company - Aerospace/Defense - Part of the NASA Commercial Crew
- Truck drivers for a number of companies.
- Huntsville City Schools
- CINRAM Audio/Video Duplication
- NASA/Marshall Space Flight Center
- Sanmina-SCI Corporation - Electronic Components
- Intergraph Corporation - Computer Services. Company expanded in 2014.
- City of Huntsville - Local Government
Other Important Employers
Additional Top Employers that hire and maintain large numbers of employees include many in the Defense and Aerospace Industry or in related research and many are members of the NASA Commercial Crew:
- Teledyne Brown Engineering
- Unviersity of Alabama
- Northrop Grumman
- Alabama A&M University
- Dynetics, Inc. Aerospace and Defense
- Jacobs Aerospace and Defense
- COLSA Corporation
- ITT Corporation
- DRS Test & Energy Management
- Lockheed Martin
- Raytheon Company
- PPG Industries, Inc.
Electronics, Education, and Healthcare also offer increasing numbers of jobs.
Redstone Arsenal 50th Anniversary, 2008
Army Nursing as a Career
ROTC Army Nursing
Top 10 Jobs Increasing 2015 - 2017
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - including at research universities and government & military installations.
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts - Especially Aerospace and Health.
- Truck Driving
- Medical Assistants and Nurse Practitioners (NPs)
- Fitness Trainers and Aerobics Instructors
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications
- Physical Therapists
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Dental Hygienists
- Dental Assistants
A relatively higher demand exists also for Veterinary Technologists and Technicians in the Healthcare Industry and for various categories of Engineers that include IT.
Jobs Projected For Increase Through 2022
Leading Employers: SAIC, Booz Allen Hamilton, Jacobs Technology, Gentiva (healthcare field), Lockheed Martin, Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC), Torch Technologies, Rush Trucking, CRST Malone (trucking).
Highest Demand Jobs:
- Truck Owner-Operators and Salaried Drivers
- Systems Engineers
- Software Engineers
- Company Truck Drivers
- Registered Nurses (RN license)
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Program Managers - Healthcare field and IT
- Truck Driver Trainees
- Physical Therapists
- Intelligence Analysts
- Web Developers
- Business Analysts
- Avionics Specialists
- Network Engineers
The city schools K-12 are a step ahead of much of the nation, supplemented by specifically dedicated Magnet Schools that educate students with an eye toward gainful employment, and via Toyota Distance Learning Labs.
Through the Internet, students can take a more diverse set of courses and listen to specially qualified speakers in nearly any field, including emerging occupations and industries. Many students take advantage on simultaneous high school and college enrollment as well. Space Science (NASA-led), engineering, and research are all particular foci of certain magnet schools, but the arts are also targeted by others.
College and Vocational Level Education
- Alabama A&M University www.aamu.edu/ - Many degrees of all levels. The Graduate School is one of the largest historically black colleges in the US.
- Calhoun Community College - Partners with Decatur area, a Research Park in Huntsville, and the Redstone Arsenal.
- Defense Acquisition University (DAU) South - Mandatory, mission-required, and Adult Continuing Education for military and civilian personnel. Serves over 140,000 people. Develops a top-of-the-line Acquisition Workforce for America.
- JF Drake State Technical College www.dstc.cc.al.us
- Faulkner University Huntsville www.faulkner.edu/
- Florida Institute of Technology - Redstone Graduate Center - Serves greater Huntsville Area residents, government and private employees, businesses, military, and families with advanced training in engineering and management. Distance Learning is also popular and effective.
- Oakwood University - Well known for all of its programs, it is especially recognized nationwide for its medical school training.
- UAHuntsville www.uah.edu - University of Alabama at Huntsville is a national research university ranked among the US 100 Best College Buys for its business and technology superiority. Undergraduate business programs are nationally recognized and the graduate school provides a Master of Science degree in Acquisition Management.
- Virginia College at Huntsville - Associate degrees in allied health, computerized drafting, CIS, electronics, legal professions, medical ministration and office systems.
US Space and Rocket Center
Spaceports and Spacecraft Near Huntsville
Other US Aerospace Jobs and Education Centers
- American Spaceports Open; Teleportation and Warp Speed in R&D
Aerospace business is booming in the 2010s with asteroid mining startups and space tourism. A dozen spaceports are already operating in North America as of 2013, all but one od them in the USA.
- High Demand Aerospace Jobs In Brownsville, Texas
SpaceX is one of the top aerospace companies in the world, builds outstanding spacecraft, and is a leading member of NASA's Commercial Crew of private companies. Jobs will continue to increase.
© 2009 Patty Inglish