Indiana Business and Jobs
Jobs Are Increasing Through AD 2022
Government and private sector initiatives to increase the number of available jobs and the number and size of businesses in Indiana have succeeded in the fields of High Tech industries and Life Sciences.
Medical and Healthcare jobs are growing and are showing increased numbers of jobs available in High Tech industries as well.
Overall in early 2019, the state was home to over 70,000 job vacancies, with nearly 25% of them in Indianapolis. For instance, over 7,000 nurses of all levels and over 3,500 engineers were needed in February 2019.
Indianapolis became home to Colonel Eli Lilly Civil War Museum and Soldiers & Sailors Monument. Colonel Lilly was born in Indiana and later recruited an entire company of men to fight for the Union Army during the War Between the States. Afterward, he created one of the largest medical treatment producing companies in the world.
Top 20 Largest Employers in Indiana
The largest employers are those hiring the most people and/or having the most jobs available in Indiana:
- Eli Lilly and Company, since 1876, built on the Colonel's motto: "Take what you find here and make it better and better." The Colonel was a pharmacist and chemist whose goal it was to put snake-oil salesmen of post-Civil War America out of business with his own useful medications. Check out today's careers.
- Clarian Health Partners Inc.
- Community Health Network
- General Motors
- Indiana University; Purdue University
- St. Vincent Hospital & Health Services
- Allison Transmission/Division of GMC
- AT & T
- WellPoint, Inc.
- St. Francis Hospital & Health Centers
- Defense Finance & Accounting Services
- Roche Diagnostic Corporation
- United Technologies Carrier Corp.
- Automotive Components Holdings LLC
- Indianapolis Power & Light
- Raytheon Technical Services
- International Truck & Engine Corporation
- Wishard Health Services
- Indianapolis Coca-Cola
Cities Offering the Most Jobs
Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Evansville, Lafayette, South Bend.
In the State Capital, Indianapolis, most jobs advertised are involved in healthcare and retail sales, including grocery and convenience stores.
Largest Healthcare Employers Advertising Full-Time and Long Term Jobs
- St. Vincent Health
- Indiana University Health
- Community Health Network
- Bloomington Hospital
- Golden Living Centers
- Trilogy Health Services
- Deaconess Health System
- Franciscan Alliance
- Kindred Healthcare
- Community Healthcare System
High Demand Jobs
- Truck Drivers - company-paid and owner operators
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - includes Travel Nurses
- Software Engineers
- Casual and Fast Food Dining Managers and Crew
- Insurance Company Call Center Workers - Ameriplan and others
- Dental and Medical Assistants
- General Dentists
- Retail sales clerks and technicians - particularly in Drug Stores like CVS
- Mental Health Case Managers and related jobs
- Home Health Aides and CNAs
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
Job Projections to 2022
- Healthcare Practitioners and Technical Assistants
- Office and Administrative Support
- Transportation and Material Moving
- Sales and Related Occupations
- Construction and Extraction
- Health Diagnosing and Treating Practitioners
- Healthcare Support Staff
- Food Preparation and Serving
- Education, Training, and Library Occupations
- Construction Trades
- Personal Care and Service
- Retail Sales
- Production and Manufacturing Occupations
- Nursing, Psychiatric, and Home Health Aides
- Health Technologists and Technicians
(Information from Hoosiers By the Numbers at http://www.hoosierdata.in.gov/index.asp)
Top 20 Job Skills Demanded By Employers
Indiana employers most often look for these skills in new recruits, according to county jobs offices across the state:
- Work Cooperatively as a Team Member - good/clear communication, good questions, good compromising abilities, effective cooperation.
- Consistently Apply Good Listening Skills - listen with full attention, repeat back instructions to make sure they are correct, rephrase what you have heard in your own words.
- Maintain a Safe Work Environment - follow rules and help others to follow them; keep your area clean and organized.
- Consistently Follow Safety Procedures
- Follow Detailed Instructions
- Load and Unload
- Ability and Willingness to Move Heavy Objects
- Manage Time Effectively - organization, follow-through, multitasking.
- Use Hand Tools
- Use Basic Math - add, subtract, multiply, divide; figure fractions; all at least at the 10th grade level.
- Acquire and Evaluate Information - use good logic and judgment.
- Make Effective Decisions
- Apply Industry Terms and Concepts - learn the lingo and the ideas.
- Follow Emergency Procedures
- Use Power Tools Safely
- Perform Basic Assembly Tasks
- Organize & Work With Detailed Office and/or Warehouse Records
- Apply Technology to Tasks - stay up to date on all work-related technology.
- Follow and Give Instructions Accurately
Visit Indiana's Job Search Sites
- Indiana Career Connect: Look for free training programs connected to available jobs listed.
- Indiana Career Ready
- Indiana Department of Natural Resources
- State government jobs are advertised at www.in.gov/spd/2333.htm
- WorkOne: Easily find any local Indiana employment office by clicking the appropriate county or area name on an interactive map.
Major Educational Institutions
- Ball State University
- Butler University
- Indiana University
- Indiana State University
- Ivy Tech
- Purdue University
- St. Meinrad Archabbey School
- University of Evansville
- University of Notre Dame
- University of Southern Indiana
- Vincennes University
Indiana Technical Schools and Colleges
- Argosy University Virtual Campus - Multiple Cities
- Everest College -Multiple Cities
- Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences -Multiple Cities
- Indiana Business College - Anderson, Columbus, Downtown Campus, Evansville,
- Fort Wayne, Lafayette, Marion, Medical Campus, Indianapolis, Muncie, Northwest Campus, Terre Haute
- International Business College - Indianapolis, Fort Wayne
- ITT Technical Institute - Multiple Cities
- Kaplan College - Indianapolis, Merrillville
- National College - Indianapolis
- TechSkills - Multiple Cities
- The Culinary Institute of America - Multiple Cities
- United States Military Academy - contact US Army Recruiter
- University of Phoenix - Indianapolis; NW Indiana -Merrillville
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2007 Patty Inglish MS