- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
- Job Searches»
- Local Job Searches
Indiana Business and Jobs
Increasing Jobs in Indiana
Government and private sector initiatives to increase the number of available jobs and the number and size of businesses in Indiana have succeeded in the fields of High Tech industries and Life Sciences. Medical and Healthcare jobs are growing and there are increased numbers of jobs available in High Tech industries.
Top 20 Largest Employers in Indiana
The largest employers are those hiring the most people and/or having the most jobs available in Indiana:
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Clarian Health Partners Inc.
- Community Health Network
- General Motors
- Indiana University; Purdue University
- St. Vincent Hospital & Health Services
- Allison Transmission/Division of GMC
- AT & T
- WellPoint, Inc.
- St. Francis Hospital & Health Centers
- Defense Finance & Accounting Services
- Roche Diagnostic Corporation
- United Technologies Carrier Corp.
- Automotive Components Holdings LLC
- Indianapolis Power & Light
- Raytheon Technical Services
- International Truck & Engine Corporation
- Wishard Health Services
- Indianapolis Coca-Cola
Cities Offering the Most Jobs
Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Evansville, Lafayette, and South Bend.
In the State Capital, Indianapolis, most jobs advertised are involved in healthcare and retail sales, including grocery and convenience stores.
Largest Healthcare Employers Advertising Jobs
- St. Vincent Health
- Indiana University Health
- Community Health Network
- Bloomington Hospital
- Golden Living Centers
- Trilogy Health Services
- Deaconess Health System
- Franciscan Alliance
- Kindred Healthcare
- Community Healthcare System
High Demand Jobs
- Truck Drivers - company-paid and owner operators
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - includes Travel Nurses
- Software Engineers
- Casual and Fast Food Dining Managers and Crew
- Insurance Company Call Center Workers - Ameriplan and others
- Dental and Medical Assistants
- General Dentists
- Retail sales clerks and technicians - particularly in Drug Stores like CVS
- Mental Health Case Managers and related jobs
- Home Health Aides and CNAs
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
Job Projections to 2022
- Healthcare Practitioners and Technical
- Office and Administrative Support
- Transportation and Material Moving
- Sales and Related Occupations
- Construction and Extraction
- Health Diagnosing and Treating Practitioners
- Healthcare Support
- Food Preparation and Serving
- Education, Training, and Library Occupations
- Construction Trades
- Personal Care and Service
- Retail Sales
- Production Occupations
- Nursing, Psychiatric, and Home Health Aides
- Health Technologists and Technicians
Information from Hoosiers By the Numbers at http://www.hoosierdata.in.gov/index.asp
Top 20 Job Skills Demanded By Employers in Indiana
Indiana employers most often look for these skills, according to county jobs offices across the state:
- Work Cooperatively as A Team Member - good/clear communication, good questions, good compromising abilities, effective cooperation.
- Consistently Apply Good Listening Skills - listen with full attention, repeat back instructions to make sure they are correct, rephrase what you have heard in your own words.
- Maintain a Safe Work Environment - follow rules and help others to follow them; keep your area clean and organized.
- Consistently Follow Safety Procedures
- Follow Detailed Instructions
- Load and Unload
- Ability and Willingness to Move Heavy Objects
- Manage Time Effectively - organization, follow-through, multitasking.
- Use Hand Tools
- Use Basic Math - add, subtract, multiply, divide; figure fractions; all at least at the 10th grade level.
- Acquire and Evaluate Information - use good logic and judgment.
- Make Effective Decisions
- Apply Industry Terms and Concepts - learn the lingo and the ideas.
- Follow Emergency Procedures
- Use Power Tools Safely
- Perform Basic Assembly Tasks
- Organize & Work With Detailed Office and/or Warehouse Records
- Apply Technology to Tasks - stay up to date on all work-related technology.
- Follow and Give Instructions Accurately
Major Metro Areas and Jobs
- Fishers, Indiana - An Explosive Indianapolis Suburb
Fishers, Indiana at the north side of Indianapolis is an historic town, but one that has experienced disproportionate growth of business and residential populations. In the late 2000s, it is still growing and expanding further with instratructure imp
- Highest Demand Jobs in Indianapolis Increasing 2013 - 2023
Late night TV's David Letterman may be from Indianapolis, but the city has its own Top 10 List.
- Top 15 High Demand Jobs in Avon IN - Circle City Sub...
Avon is a suburb 10 miles west of Indianapolis, the large city that Avoners call Circle City. It is developing so quickly that it is the fastest-growing city in 2010, but retains its hometown feel.
Visit Indiana's Job Search Site
Fine your local office by clicking a county or area on an interactive map.
Major Educational Institutions in Indiana
- Ball State University
- Butler University
- Indiana University
- Indiana State University
- Ivy Tech
- Purdue University
- St. Meinrad Archabbey School
- University of Evansville
- University of Notre Dame
- University of Southern Indiana
- Vincennes University
Indiana Technical Schools and Colleges
- Argosy University Virtual Campus - Multiple Cities
- Everest College -Multiple Cities
- Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences -Multiple Cities
- Indiana Business College - Anderson, Columbus, Downtown Campus, Evansville,
- Fort Wayne, Lafayette, Marion, Medical Campus, Indianapolis, Muncie, Northwest Campus, Terre Haute
- International Business College - Indianapolis, Fort Wayne
- ITT Technical Institute - Multiple Cities
- Kaplan College - Indianapolis, Merrillville
- National College - Indianapolis
- TechSkills - Multiple Cities
- The Culinary Institute of America - Multiple Cities
- United States Military Academy - contact US Army Recruiter
- University of Phoenix - Indianapolis; NW Indiana -Merrillville
© 2007 Patty Inglish