I have enjoyed both the scenarios that is in the job and out of job as you can see in my real profile. Based on my experience I have a few suggestions to offer:
1. Whatever you do, do with heart to have the best results.
2. Never criticize you country, organization or boss.
3. Always be prepared to change in location.
4. Never discuss your official problems with the family. Let the family remain as a family.
5. Praise others with open heart.
6. Encourage subordinates to own responsibilities and ignore their small mistakes.
7. Set an example for others to follow.
8. Work as a Team.
9. Take decisions with presence of mind. Never hesitate to say "NO" if you can not and never have biased opinion. Form opinions over a period of time and do not jump to conclusion on short term behaviours.
Presently I am passing on my experience to juniors free of cost after learning how to build a self hosted multi user wordpress site. Members are pouring in to learn and I love to interact with youngsters even though I have to spent my hard earned few thousand dollars.