jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

If you have a full time job/career unrelated to writing, how much time do you se

1. j.amie profile image61
    j.amieposted 7 years ago

If you have a full time job/career unrelated to writing, how much time do you set aside for writing?

2. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 7 years ago

It's not easy but usually a couple of hours a couple of nights a week and some on Saturday afternoon. I also write on my lunch break if I can.

3. point2make profile image82
    point2makeposted 7 years ago

I try to write "something" every week. I find that planning a session never seems to work out. Most of my writing is done at night when I can get alone and just "explore". Being in the Retail industry it can be extremely challenging finding the time ,especially,  at this time of the year. I take heart knowing January & February are just around the corner and for me that represents some much needed down time and lots of  good writing opportunities.

4. arb profile image79
    arbposted 7 years ago

I am an early riser. Enjoy the solitude that comes with a sleeping house, a cup of Joe and favorite music, so I write. Every morning, seven days a week. Somestimes its only 30 minutes, sometimes half a day. The luxury of retirement.

5. Abbasangel profile image74
    Abbasangelposted 7 years ago

As much as I can ,whilst maintaining getting some vitamin d and hanging with my friends and family.

So its usually late nights and earlier mornings...

6. mio cid profile image49
    mio cidposted 7 years ago

i would say a couple           of hours four times a week although i find it hard to write while uninspired

7. Rob Hanlon profile image61
    Rob Hanlonposted 7 years ago

I never have a time 'set aside' for writing as I couldn't be so methodical in something I like doing. I tend to write when I feel moved to as it is something that can be done almost anywhere .... all you need is a pen & something to write on.

Once there is a stack of written work done, I generally get round to typing it up, which is a chore akin to ironing laundry for me :-)

8. mcrawford76 profile image83
    mcrawford76posted 7 years ago

I carry my mini notebook with me everywhere I go, that way if I find time, opportunity, or inspiration, I'm ready.

9. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

I'm retired but when I was working I found time to play hockey in an adult league and I found time to work in my darkroom.

You have to allow yourself time for yourself.  Mothers may find it more difficult when the kids are pre-school but everyone should be able to find an hour a day for themselves somehow to do some exercises and indulge in some kind of hobby.

Even if you write only 20 minutes a day, one day you will have written a novel.  Really... I did.

10. profile image0
    veegrl11posted 7 years ago

hobbys are very important, so you must set aside atleast 2 hours a day, before sleeping, to devote to ur writing and/or journal, or whatever is it you're working on. best of luck darl.!! keep writing!

working