Unethical Behavior At Work

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

Oftentimes, many people often "have to do what they got to do" in order to succeed in the workplace.  The picture is not pretty at all.    These people do not care who they hurt psychologically in order to be successful.    These people often bulldoze their way to the top.     

These people's only concern is the promotion and the accolades and status that comes with the promotion.    In many companies and corporations, it seems that the more unethical and/or sycophantic the person is, the more likely he/she will be promoted.    In other words, the more the person plays the particular company's and/or corporation's politic game, the more likely he/she will get that coveted promotion.    The employee who is a good worker, is ethical and definitely refuses to play into the game will be passed over and better, derided.     It seems that the name of the game is not how much a good worker a person is but how well he/she can play the corporate game or being as cutthroat as he/she can be in order to be on top.  Let's discuss this!

1. Efficient Admin profile image85
      Efficient Adminposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think this is true at some companies, but not all.  If there exists executive staff / upper management / HR management that value professionalism, integrity, hard work, team work, etc... then that will absolutely trickle down the ranks and anything other than these traits (i.e. the opposite) will not be tolerated for very long.  So it just depends on what the upper management values.  If a lot more management would value these good things then I bet a lot more work environments would be better places to work.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've seen it first hand. That is why I was let go from the company while someone who spent half the day goofing off is still there...

No biggie though, I've gotten my soul back working for myself smile

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good for you, UW!   I, too, have seen it too many times during the span of my career.    There was one man who was an excellent worker with excellent credentials.   This poor soul was constantly passed over for promotions and constantly derided by upper management and his supervisors.   One high level supervisor even told this poor man that he WOULD NEVER get a promotion as long as he worked for the agency.    This supervisor even laughed at this poor man and called him a pejorative name during a meeting.    No matter what this poor man did, it was never enough!    He is now near retirement age, hopefully he will retire because he was NEVER appreciated where he worked!

I, too, saw this gameplaying at the agency.    I got sick of it and elected to retire.   I am honing my writing skills; hopefully, one day I will write some books and publish them.   It is so much better to work for oneself than for others.    Too much gameplaying in the corporate world for me!

3. Midasfx profile image67
      Midasfxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hearing some of the stories make me feel not so bad about the time I got laid off. I was 1 of the lowest on the totem pole in rank, but far superior than my coworkers in work ethics and morals.  But it was not about work ethics, it was just a popularity contest in the end.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

"Unethical Behavior At Work"

I've seen it virtually everywhere I've been.

Corporate culture is Darwinian, not Intelligent Design. big_smile

3. Lipnancy profile image79
    Lipnancyposted 11 years ago

To tell you the truth, this is part of the reason I now work for myself. And TV shows like Donald Trump's "The Apprentice" make this sort of poor behavior seem appropriate and acceptable. I still believe in team work to get the job done, not stabbing one another in the back.

4. Reality Bytes profile image72
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

I know for a fact that many managers will keep qualified and competent employees down, at least for managers that hold a fear of their own employment.  They do not want to reward their potential replacements.  The employees that "worship authority" are the ones that seem to succeed in that sort of atmosphere.

Reality, you have made an excellent point!

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Word. Been there, done that, bought the extra-large T-shirt with the unpleasant stains down the front.

5. BSloan profile image69
    BSloanposted 11 years ago

Unfortunately I know first hand exactly the type of people who enjoy this behavior and the type of bosses that accept the behavior.  I left my job just because I was subjected to this behavior and my loyalty, talents, and honestly were not appreciated.  The new unethical, lying, manipulative employee is always praised for being sly and ruthless with those around them.  Many bosses enjoy seeing these employees in action since they themselves are this way.

Those environments are just plain nasty and you should run away from them as fast as you can.  It's sad to be in a job situation where bad employees are rewarded for bad behavior and good employees are usually the target many wrong doings. 

In the end, when we're old and gray, very few people wish they could of had more time at work.  Most of these same people wish they wouldn't have done so many others wrong and they wouldn't have made work their number one focus in their life.

6. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 11 years ago

Yeah, I know about this too; from experience.  It sucks. I've seen a coworker bully and sabotage another who was excellent on her job.  This little witch did what she could to actually set her up to fail.  Made me so mad.   I had to confront her once for trying to bully me like a 14 year old Jr. High classmate.  Ugh....I wouldn't doubt if this same bully was the one who caused the situation that eventually led to me being discharged from my dream job there.  Someone went to a lot of trouble to sabotage me, bad, really bad.  Too long to go into detail, but it was for real.

Donofear,  when I was a supervisor, then was a woman who had her work tampered with by coworkers.   In addition to that, the coworkers tattled on her at every conceivable opportunity which caused this woman to be written up several times.   This poor dear was near a nervous breakdown.   She revealed to me that she wanted to do bodily damage(my words, not hers) to the coworkers. 

The situation was so bad that this woman was about to be terminated.   However, thankfully, she was transferred to another section where her immediate supervisor was kind and understanding.   The head supervisor was still horrible to her, causing trouble for her at every conceivable moment.    Well, the woman was subsequently promoted to a more glamorous job while those who tormented here remained in their dead end jobs to this day!  Karma does have a way of repayment sometimes!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)