jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

What is the first thing you do after you lose employment?

1. KevinTimothy profile image84
    KevinTimothyposted 5 years ago

Be honest...what's the first reaction?

1. Reality Bytes profile image83
      Reality Bytesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, I get excited at the opportunity to pursue new paths. 

“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”

Alexander Graham Bell

1. Escobana profile image75
        Escobanaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The first thing I did after losing my one and only real job in life, was cry like a baby! I got sick and diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder.

Therefore I lost my job as a teacher and since then I felt horrible about it for years. The oppurtunity to work after studying very hard, then losing it within a year, was devastating.

I managed to turn my life in a different and wonderful direction but still feel the kind of prejudice people will always have.

If you don't have a 'real job' you don't belong in modern day society. Losing your job, looking for a new one and hoping to find a better one, comes with losing part of your self-esteem for many of us.

Lucky for me, I feel confident and proud now with everything I achieved later in life.

1. Reality Bytes profile image83
          Reality Bytesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

On this I would disagree, for five years I have lived as a Freeman on the Land.  No "real job", at least not one that would force me to accept federal reserve notes as compensation.  It is not easy, but it can be done.

Do not allow your self worth to be determined by occupation,  there is much more to life than work.  Be proud of who you are, not what you are!  smile

1. Escobana profile image75
            Escobanaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Proud I am now:-) Thanks for responding...

2. kathyinmn profile image62
    kathyinmnposted 5 years ago

At first I felt like crying. I really could not aford to lose a job right now. Then I felt a sense of releaf. I had planed to look into a different type of job, but I did not want to leave the wonderful boss I had.

When I got home, I updated my resume, applyed for unemployment, then I started to search for a new job in the field I wanted.

So far no luck, but I am still trying

3. kathleenkat profile image82
    kathleenkatposted 5 years ago

"Oh shit, when's the last time I updated my resume?!"

4. Greek One profile image74
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

pee in the boss' coffee cup on the way out

(which, ironically enough, can be the cause of the unemployment in the first place)

1. justgrace1776 profile image75
      justgrace1776posted 5 years agoin reply to this

lol
      I had drinks. I would recommend this remedy to anyone.

working