jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Does anyone here sell on Ebay?

1. brimancandy profile image80
    brimancandyposted 3 weeks ago

I recently started selling stuff on ebay, and I was wondering if anyone else does it,  and what your experience has been. I sell mostly clothes, and I find it very strange that the only thing people are buying from me is underwear and jock straps. (grin)

I belong to a facebook ebay group, and some people report that ebay is very picky about your sales, and if you do not sell enough, they will boot you from selling, and you can never sell with them again.
    I also heard from a buyer who claims that, they are starting to limit the amount of items a person can buy each month. I can't figure out why they would do that. The only thing I can assume is that he is not a reliable buyer. maybe doesn't pay for items he buys, or has a lot of returns.

I would like to ask if people would take the time to look at my sales, and see if I am selling things to high or too cheap, or if the quality of my merchandise is good. My sales are very low. <snipped-promotional>
    Thanks for reading my post. Fire your comments my way!

1. theraggededge profile image99
      theraggededgeposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

To the left of the message box when you post here:

"Do not start threads for the sole purpose of promotion or posting links. Please use the Forums in the spirit of community!"

2. ptosis profile image85
      ptosisposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

</snipped-promotional>

You can sell as much or as little as you want. Watch shipping costs. I do not ship outside the lower 48 and PR. For some reason PR is same price as mainland.

maybe once twice a year I find some great thing at thrift store for $3 and sell it for $75 on Ebay but that don't happen very often.  Mostly sell stuff I buy on Ebay!  Some other guy sold his for $12. hahahahahaha!

Most unusual thing sold - it's a musical box:
      https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13765127.jpg

2. dougwest1 profile image98
    dougwest1posted 3 weeks ago

I have been selling on eBay for years, mostly coins (ID: dwest61506, Top Rated Platinum Power Seller). It is like everything else in life, it takes some getting used to. If you price your items right, they will sell. It takes some time to learn all the rules, but once you get the hang of it things go smoothly. My wife and I have over 1100 items for sale on eBay at the current time. Stick with it and you will get the hang of it.

3. Marisa Wright profile image99
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 weeks ago

I went through a phase where I sold a lot of stuff on eBay.   Since then I've sold one or two things every now and then - and no one has "booted me off". So I'd say that's a load of nonsense.   They will boot you off if you get a bad score or have too many complaints, either as a buyer or as a seller.

People buy the strangest things.  I sold mainly stuff I had around the house, like ornaments, stamps, coins, old clothes (call them "vintage"!), single cups and saucers from dinner sets.  The stuff I expected would sell well, didn't.  The stuff I listed for a dollar and half-expected not to sell, went gangbusters.

I found the best way to sell was:

1.  Never offer free postage. eBay will try to persuade you to offer it - but the trouble is, that means you have to set a higher starting price to cover the postage.  And that means you're less likely to sell.

2.  Set your price really, really low.  Like $2 or $3.  That will tempt people into bidding, then once they've made one bid, they're likely to go on bidding even if the price goes high. 

3.  Offer a "Buy It Now" price that's much higher - maybe a little more than you think you can get for it.

working