jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Isn't it time for an "official" 20-hour or 32-hour workweek for office and facto

1. dabeaner profile image57
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

Isn't it time for an "official" 20-hour or 32-hour workweek for office and factory jobs?

Isn't it ridiculous that many are working are working 40+ hours, while others are sitting on their asses?  What is the big hurry that people have to work long hours, be on-call with their cell-phones, etc.?  As it is now, those working the 40+ hours in real (not government) jobs are supporting everyone else.

2. Uva profile image77
    Uvaposted 8 years ago

People working overtime, taking their work home with them, and living constantly on-call is definitely a compound problem.

Right now with such high unemployment many people are working harder because they are afraid of losing their jobs.

Other people who would work part time if they could, can't because they need to keep their benefits especially health insurance. Simultaneously some people have two or three part time jobs because the businesses they work for don't hire full time because they can't afford to pay benefits.

What a mess, I agree, it's totally time for full time to be 32 hours and benefits to be affordable, so that more people can work, and others can work less and live more.

3. PAPA-BEAR profile image60
    PAPA-BEARposted 8 years ago

I think it would be a surprise just how many people actually do work 30 hours or less.  Perhaps I er to a 4 day week, same idea but more defined. However unless wages rise to match the reduction, it will not work.

4. TheWatchman profile image86
    TheWatchmanposted 8 years ago

I think recent studies have shown that many people would take a substantial cut on on their salaries if it meant having one extra day off a week......money's useless if you don't have time to enjoy your life!

working