jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Isn't it time for an "official" 20-hour or 32-hour workweek for office and facto

1. dabeaner profile image56
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

Isn't it time for an "official" 20-hour or 32-hour workweek for office and factory jobs?

Isn't it ridiculous that many are working 40+ hours, while others are sitting on their asses?  What is the big hurry that people have to work long hours, be on-call with their cell-phones, etc.?  As it is now, those working the 40+ hours in real (not government) jobs are supporting everyone else.

2. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 8 years ago

Capitalsim will not allow that. It does not care about what people want: there is profit to be made thus, people have to be paid very little and made to work as long as possible - to increase profit. No unions translates in more power for the companies and corporations and people are treated as numbers: fire-one, hire-one. People are used as tools, because most of them are Tools. I am surprised there is not a six day working week. Profit ...all about profit.

3. stricktlydating profile image81
    stricktlydatingposted 8 years ago

I work in an office job and it would be very tough trying to pay my mortgage if the working week was only 20 hours. Though it might suit some people, it wouldn't be the ideal for others. I don't like the idea of working over 40 hours a week either. I think it's about finding a job which suits your lifestyle and is enough to support your own standard of living.

4. dabeaner profile image56
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

I agree with Mr. Happy. Not gonna happen. But, "wouldn't it be lovely..."

Hey strictly... How much of your pay goes to taxes?  Direct and INDIRECT, on average those making over minimum wage in Oz, US, western Europe, are taking at least a 50% hit.  So your living standard would be the same.