jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If I start my own website for a business do I need to do anything business wise?

1. tdebrick profile image59
    tdebrickposted 7 years ago

If I start my own website for a business do I need to do anything business wise?

Thinking about starting a website for a business but not sure if I need to file a business name or something.

2. eculligan profile image72
    eculliganposted 7 years ago

Hello.  You don't have to file for a business name when you first get started creating a website business.  When you start making a lot of money per year (15K or more) then you will want to file for a business name.  Best thing to do is go and find a webhost and create your business name.  You can still claim your business taxes under your social security number and you won't need a Tax Identification number.

3. tritrain profile image85
    tritrainposted 7 years ago

Research and decide upon good potential domain names.  Buy one or more of them via a Registrar.

Business-wise your domain is a business decision. 

Outside of copyrighting your business name and domain there isn't much that you should need to do.

Do you plan on creating an ecommerce site?

4. drbillfannin profile image59
    drbillfanninposted 7 years ago

If you want to be taken seriously by the world, you need to act like a business, in which case you need a tax ID. You can run a sole-proprietorship on your SSN. There are advantages to keeping your business separate from your personal finances. You would do well to get to the library and pick up some current books on business startups in the field you are choosing. I decided to set up an LLC. It gives me access to a business banking account, business write-offs of expenses, property owned separate from my own in case of lawsuits, etc. It does double my tax work though. Personal and business, but this is the #1 path people go these days once there is money incoming.

5. profile image45
    ContactHughposted 7 years ago

Explore your competition.  You may or may not need to file.  Ask your accountant or someone in the profession.   I feel the biggest advantage to creating a name for your business will be the tax write off's.   Even if you're not making a profit, the more legit you look to the IRS the easier it is to get those breaks.  I guess it could depend on how much you plan to spend to start your business. 

In any case,  I would go for it and take care of the details along the way.

Best of luck to you!

Hugh

working