jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is it appropriate to give (or call coworkers by) nick names or pet names in an o

1. Earl S. Wynn profile image85
    Earl S. Wynnposted 7 years ago

Is it appropriate to give (or call coworkers by) nick names or pet names in an office environment?

2. Wombara profile image56
    Wombaraposted 7 years ago

If it does not cause offence to the person, or anyone else, and the name is not generally derogatory then it should be OK.

3. steffer profile image61
    stefferposted 7 years ago

i think it would be ok to do so, when you have a good relationship with your co-workers, or the mood vat the office is fine, are some of your collegues doing the same? if so, why not then, but to be honest, i wouldn't give them pet names.

4. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 7 years ago

I don't think so, unless that's already their nickname in real life. Better to keep if professional at work. Or others may start coming up with stupid nicknames for you!

5. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

You should speak to any of your colleagues in the way that is acceptable to the company you work for.  Some companies use first names, some use Mr/Mrs... some use just surname.  I once worked at a place where we were addressed, Mr... and the managers were addressed as Mr.. but we spoke to each other on first name/nickname basis, every company is different.  When I was teaching, it was Mr/Mrs in the class room first name in the staff room.

6. RetailPrincess profile image57
    RetailPrincessposted 7 years ago

Depends on where you work. In retail you can nickname anyone, anything! :-)

7. saish profile image35
    saishposted 7 years ago

if your coworker dosen't have any problem with it then its ok or if he does feel affected then you should quit doing that

8. Powerful Pierre profile image78
    Powerful Pierreposted 7 years ago

I come from a mining underground where EVERYBODY had a nickname. A cple of times as Boss I was assigned guys who when I heard their real name had no idea who they were, until my supervisor used their nicknames.LOL  Yet today there are many that we both exchange FB notes using our nicknames today. In an office some would say its different but even then I still nickname the office or telemarketers I know. But thats just me.