jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think unions are a bad thing?

1. PR Morgan profile image60
    PR Morganposted 7 years ago

Do you think unions are a bad thing?

2. profile image0
    David99999posted 7 years ago

No.  Unions allow employees to protect themselves against abuse and harassment from dishonest, immoral employers and managers (the same organizations and people who want to get rid of unions).

3. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

i think unions can be a bad thing. the CAW and the CUPE are two examples of how unions are too grredy. that said, unions also help keep companies from ripping off employees in some cases. humans tend to need others to fight their battles when it comes to working and unions do that. personally i wouldn't work for a unionized company because i rarely agree with their ideas and i don't need someone else to stand up for me but like i said many people do.

4. JON EWALL profile image74
    JON EWALLposted 6 years ago

Unions do have a place in our society in the private sector. In the private sector because as some say , to protect the rights of the worker, the participation of both entities in a company, there are  competitive negotiations between a private employer and the employee unions .Private sector employers will control their investments so as to make a profit, necessary to stay in business, hence labor cost have a huge impact on a companies bottom line.

IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR, unions whose members are paid with public funds( taxpayer money ) and having NO competition in employee incomes to rely on, should not be encouraged or allowed.
    The public sector unions with salaries and benefits far exceed what the private sector compensates their employees. The politicians have ignored their responsibilities to the voters who voted them into office in keeping  labor cost reasonable. Simply put, it’s time for a change to level the playing field in the public sector and government employment. IN THE CASE OF THE PUBLIC SECTOR, the taxpayers have the responsibility to fund the union members. The public sector is essentially a not for profit entity, when there are surpluses in tax collections, the surpluses belong to the taxpayers and not to the public employees.