jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

At what ages do you intend to retire? And what plan to save enough at the time?

1. WriterDJ profile image74
    WriterDJposted 6 years ago

At what ages do you intend to retire? And what plan to save enough at the time?

2. gingerbuzz profile image61
    gingerbuzzposted 6 years ago

Sometimes we dream of retiring at 45,50 or 60. But when we reach that age we realise that we dont have the money to retire on or we will just be too bored. Being bored with money is a lot easier than having insufficient and having to work until you die.

Remember;
    Retirement needs funds.

If you want to retire you have to plan your retirement fund, ideally that means starting young. If you are a bit on the mature side dont worry start now and things will get better.

The best advice i can give to anyone is to start a financial freedom fund. You must put aside 10% of whatever you earn in a financial freedom fund. Dont be put off by the term fund - as long as you put some money in a safe place - jar, bank, under the bed, this is a fund. It's a security fund.

This fund can only be used for investment or for starting a business. Otherwise do not touch it.

Always pay yourself first.

This means as soon as you get your salary you must provide for yourself first.
    10% to your financial freedom account
    50% for your necessities
    then sort the rest out.
    This is the best advice you will ever get.

3. whitney_185 profile image81
    whitney_185posted 6 years ago

I'd like to retire as soon as possible! At least I'd like to have enough money stowed away so that I could do whatever I wanted (work included) and not have to worry about a pay check. 50-ish sounds good to me, and I'm ok with living within my means to get there!

4. jeffwilks profile image61
    jeffwilksposted 6 years ago

Soon! Gingerbuzz has some good advice there. I would add two things.
    First, I don't think we are really meant to retire so to speak. Retirement has typically meant that you no longer work. I prefer to think of it as working if and when I want to. And working on what I want to work on.
    Second, you can "retire" at any age, and you don't have to have millions of dollars to do so. All you need is enough income that you don't have to work for.

working