jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you tip?

1. The Ghostwriter profile image73
    The Ghostwriterposted 6 years ago

Do you tip?

In the UK tipping is a concern for many reasons; sometimes the staff never get the money if you add it to your credit card payment.

Sometimes we get a bill with the tip already included - despite poor service.

Despite the above; if your waiter.waitress is excellent but the food is late, cold and appalling - do you still tip?

Do you automatically add a tip to the bill whether the service is good or bad.

How do you tip?

2. lovelife08 profile image59
    lovelife08posted 6 years ago

Being very young and struggling financially, I only leave a tip if I can afford it, and only if the service is satisfactory.

3. Daffy Duck profile image60
    Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago

Absolutely.  When I'm working that is.  People in the food service industry depend on tips because their pay is usually real low.

4. BlissfulWriter profile image67
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

Yes, I leave a tip when it is the custom of the country or region to do so (even if the service is average or great).   Many countries in North America and Europe is customary to tip. 

But in some countries (such as Japan for example), it is not customary.  If you try to tip them, they will flatly refuse.

5. wealthseeker profile image60
    wealthseekerposted 6 years ago

In US, 10%-15% tip is expected, even when service is not the best. I have given 25% tip once at very good service, but most wait staff is stressed and hurried nowadays.

6. mcrawford76 profile image83
    mcrawford76posted 6 years ago

Having worked in the food service/hospitality industry for a good chunk of my life, I almost always over-tip. Unless the service is awful. Then I still at least leave a couple bucks. If the food is cold, or bad, send it back - don't blame the server.

One thing to remember when dining out. A server will ALWAYS remember those who tip very well, and those that don't tip at all. If you don't plan to tip, also plan not to return to that establishment!
    Please keep in mind that most servers only make $2-3 per hour. I've had to get make up pay just to get me back to minimum wage before.

7. The Ghostwriter profile image73
    The Ghostwriterposted 6 years ago

I agree, I think good waiting staff will shine through no matter what the problem is in the kitchen.

Sadly, if they have been on the receiving end of a torrent of abuse from a mad chef, it is sometimes difficult form to come to the table calm, polite and smiling.

We as customers don't see the internal politics and them leave a tip based on the parts we see and experience.

working