jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you personally tip the maids when you stay in a hotel?

1. Lila Raines profile image75
    Lila Rainesposted 2 years ago

Do you personally tip the maids when you stay in a hotel?

Growing up, I only saw my parents do it once, so I came to believe that it wasn't necessary or customary. However, as a young adult who now stays in hotels herself, I am doing research on it. According to TripAdvisor, in the US, $2-5 is customary. Do you agree or disagree? Do you personally do it, and how much?

2. profile image0
    sandrawelchposted 2 years ago

It all depends on where I am staying.  I have friends that work in the industry.  One hotel chain, assigns a head house keeper, and she enters the rooms before the maids.  She picks up the tips, and keeps them as her 'bonus'.  Needless to say I do not tip if I stay with that chain.  At Bed and Breakfasts, if the owner is the house keeper too, then no.  Because it is not customary to tip the owners of a business.  I always ask, as I check in, and ask who receives the tip, and ask who will fill out the receipt for the tip.

3. Aime F profile image86
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

I usually leave about $5 at the end of our stay. More if we were especially messy.

4. Barbara Kay profile image89
    Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago

I didn't even realize people tipped the cleaning people at hotels until my son worked at one. Because the pay is low, he would be so excited when he received one. I now tip after hearing this.

5. janshares profile image97
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

Yes, I tip the cleaning people. It is customary and I do agree with the rate. The $2-$5 is per day from my understanding.

6. profile image0
    DebMartinposted 2 years ago

Of course. I wish those who depend on tips would be paid a living wage. But alas, that is often not the case. I thank Sandra Welch for her "tips" on tips. While I know you don't tip owners (as in a B&B) I had no idea that some hotel chains assign a head housekeeper who keeps all the tips. I will get clarity the next time I check into any hotel. Thanks!

working