jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

I am thinking about starting a business as a consultant, any advice..

1. mdiggs1234 profile image78
    mdiggs1234posted 6 years ago

I am thinking about starting a business as a consultant, any advice..

i am thinking about starting a business in customer service consulting

2. IntimatEvolution profile image79
    IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago

Be sure to pay state and federal taxes quarterly.  Saves you money, and you don't have to worry about coming up with a large amount cash money at a time when you potentially won't have it.  Consulting is a fickle market.  It takes self control and self discipline to make it big.  Word of mouth will be your best advertisement!

3. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 6 years ago

There is a need for better customer service everywhere so I am sure it will go well . Something else you can offer as well to businesses is great travel savings

4. Paul Raisbeck profile image59
    Paul Raisbeckposted 6 years ago

Think hard about your fee structure.  Lots of people in business see how much a consultant charges per day and thinks 'wow, I wish that was my daily rate!'  What they forget is that as a consultant you'll probably only work about 1 day in 4 (perhaps less in the early days) so a lot of your fee is there to cover the gaps.

Also, unless you're already well known in the business area you will need to do a lot of networking to get yourself known so be prepared to go out there and sell yourself a lot.

Finally, what is your ultimate aim for the business?  Don't forget that, as a consultant, when you stop working the money stops coming in.  So what you really have is a job and the sole value in the business is you.  What is your end game plan?