jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you really want to quit working at age 65?

1. leroy64 profile image81
    leroy64posted 6 years ago

Do you really want to quit working at age 65?

I have noticed that most people at age 65 are still more than capable of keeping up with younger co-workers.  Sometimes these "old" workers are outworking the kids.  Some want to retire and others don't.  I am looking for opinions on retirement and general plans, if that's okay.  I personally would rather work at something until my final hours.

2. CWanamaker profile image97
    CWanamakerposted 6 years ago

I am never going to stop working. I may retire from one job, but I will start another. I could potentially retire from multiple jobs and get continued income from the retirement accounts. In the end I hope to be running ,my own small business doing something fun at my own pace. The thing is, the things I find fun, most other people consider work.

3. casshd profile image60
    casshdposted 6 years ago

I work for myself and love what I do (property business and a few online businesses). I work when I choose and write about things I feel passionate about. Why ever stop working when it doesn't feel like work?

I hope I'll still be blogging when my grandkids are running around. Hopefully all the hardwork I'm putting into my web businesses now will still be paying, so I'll be a glamorous gran enjoying my latter years with lots of money and free time.

That is the dream, sad if you work a job and look forward to retirement, only to keel over shortly afterwards, or have to work in Tesco's or Walmart to pay the bills.

Thanks for a great question Leroy64

4. Daffy Duck profile image60
    Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago

I'd like to retire now.

5. szts77 profile image59
    szts77posted 6 years ago

Exactly right. When I heard about all those strikes in Spain and other countries, which happened due to the fact that the governments made the age to retire... I think 68, or something like that, I was very surprised. Why wouldn't someone want to work and be independent later in their life, too?

Although I do agree that some people might not get paid well and don't even like the job that much or want to just relax in their "last years" , I personally... It depends. If I love my job and there's a load of projects going on that I'm excited about, I won't quit. If I get tired of it all, I will quit, but I think I'll start my own little business.

working