jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Will you work overtime for your company for free?

1. whoisbid profile image75
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

Will you work overtime for your company for free?

In some parts of the world you will find certain people who work in a company and will stay behind in the office until the work is done. This means that they sometimes have to work overtime without pay or to go home and finish something that is important. They see it as a duty to the owner of the company and part of their commitment. Are you one of those people or do you feel that this is asking too much?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5520620_f260.jpg

2. Emma Harvey profile image89
    Emma Harveyposted 6 years ago

I don't get paid enough in my job to do that. I even expect to get paid for training in my own time. But if it would benefit me to be on top of things to relieve the workload, then I may work overtime for nothing. I certainly wouldn't feel it was my duty to the company to do overtime, but if it made life less stressful it would be worth it.  My family will always come before work though, and there needs to be a good balance of work and play.

3. JEDIJESSICUH profile image80
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 6 years ago

I wouldn't, no. I live in a society where nothing is free. So my hard work, my overtime, is definitely not free. I might work overtime for the same wage I'm making at normal hours, but I have no incentive to do so if I'm not making anything at all.

4. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 6 years ago

No, I would not -- and I own my company. I would also be appalled to hear of any team members doing this, because work can't be the entire balance of your life.

5. jencooper profile image60
    jencooperposted 6 years ago

No way....I feel like some times if we have had a job for a long time we start to make it personal and we feel obligated, or we want to help them out.  It is a big deal if you are asked to work overtime.  You have a life outside of work and if you are working extra you should definitely be compensated.

6. speechtotxtsrvc profile image35
    speechtotxtsrvcposted 6 years ago

Of course no! Even if some things in life are free. If there will be commission for those sales, of course I will.

7. mymagicview profile image75
    mymagicviewposted 6 years ago

As a hubber and blogger, I am already doing overtime for almost free! :-D

8. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Ha! "Certain parts of the world?" Could you be referring the United States? Oh yes, I have put countless hours of "free" work time in to do my job as a nurse working overtime and on call, as an employee in a hospital doing administrative work and in my current work as a dog trainer. I have volunteered countless hours over the years in various organizations as well. While I tend to want to do my work to the best of my ability and keep working on a project until it is done and done right, I avoid employers these days who refuse to pay me for my hours worked. I come from a generation that takes pride in a job well done, and so I tend to do whatever it takes to do what is needed and more, and to satisfy the customer. I don't see my feeling of obligation so much to my employer as just doing the right thing.

working