How do you completely stop a nosey neighbor from gawking and causing trouble? I

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (21 posts)
  1. alphagirl profile image76
    alphagirlposted 11 years ago

How do you completely stop a nosey neighbor from gawking and causing trouble? I need tips.

I have this neighbor who is 50 years old. She is always, always, looking to see what I am doing in my back yard. It drives me batty. I cant even have a simple conversation with anyone. She stands in her yard pretending to do things and listens. She is nothing but trouble. I installed 4 trellis panels for privacy and she called to complain we put a fence up. To make matters worse, I just discovered her husband is a convicted, non violent felon. This neighbor likes to mooch off others. How have you stopped a nosey, meddlesome neighbor?

2. MickS profile image59
    MickSposted 11 years ago

You must have been watching her to believe she was watching you.  Who was watching whom?

alphagirlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When your neighbor starts telling you what you doing when you are doing and wants to know who is coming over for dinner and then asks your kids personal questions in my view they are too nosey! I don't want to get to k ow her anymore than I need to!

3. teaches12345 profile image78
    teaches12345posted 11 years ago

I have a neighbor who is very watchful of all those who live around her, including us.  We do find her a little bit nosy at times, but then she has spotted some potential threats for us as well.  I am guessing that this neighbor of yours is lonely and feels unwanted at her home.  Sorry you have to deal with her, maybe try to give her some attention and see what happens... just a little though.

Initially when we first moved in I did and was friendly, but then her friendliness started to intrude on my family!
      She has also alienated other neighbors because she is so nosey! I think there is a fine! I also have nothing in common. Thanks.

2. teaches12345 profile image78
      teaches12345posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Alphagirl, you have done your part for sure!  I suggest building a brick wall about 10 feet high. smile

4. Mazzy Bolero profile image67
    Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years ago

We had a neighbor like this when I was a kid. She lived across the street and used to peek out from behind the curtains.  One day my mother saw her doing this and stuck her tongue out at her. That stopped it for a while, but I thought it was cruel, because the woman was obviously very lonely. 

Your neighbor is leading an empty life. She wants to be part of your life because she can see all the things she lacks and craves for - life, fun, affection, a happy family.  She seems to have no job and probably no real interests and purpose to fill her day.

I would suggest that when she asks you about your family and what you have been doing, ask her the same thing, since the curiosity at the moment is going only in one direction.  I realize you don't actually care what she's doing, but you might learn something that helps, as well as making her realize she's just not doing anything herself.

If you do this every time, she will hopefully realize that your conversations have to be two-way exchanges. Possibly she will 1) take some action to do something that she could talk about, making her less dependent on spying on you or 2) stop bothering you to avoid the embarrassment of having to admit that she has nothing in her life worth mentioning.

You could suggest things. If you see jobs advertised that she might get, pretend you are thinking about getting a part-time job and mention that this company is hiring.  Or mention voluntary work. 

If you know activities that might suit her, talk to her about them, or speak in confidence to someone running them so that they could  ask her to join.

If all else fails,  be absolutely open with her and tell her that you like her (OK, but it's a white lie) but at the same time you need your privacy. 

You could claim to have a migraine every time she speaks to you, or be in a great hurry and have no time to speak, say you are expecting a phone call; you have something burning on the stove, etc. She should eventually get the message that you don't want to talk. But she will probably realize this is a snub.

Solving this will take some doing, so I wish you success and a lot of luck.

I like your suggestions ! She has a job and husband. She has hobbies! I just do not want her to be a part of our lives! With two kids and work of my own I do not have time to entertain my neighbor!

2. alphagirl profile image76
      alphagirlposted 10 years agoin reply to this

we have 8 ft wide by 7 foot high trellis panels with vine growing to block their views. A perfect solution that is civil. Best part, I get to see flowers bloom off it.

5. Sue St. Clair profile image69
    Sue St. Clairposted 11 years ago

Some tips for dealing with the challenges of nosy neighbors and the hassles they bring into your life. read more

6. Kevin Peter profile image59
    Kevin Peterposted 11 years ago

It’s better not to give much attention to that side. If we stop reacting to what ever they do, they will feel bored and stop every thing by themselves

7. lupine profile image65
    lupineposted 11 years ago

If you have a nosey or noisy neighbor, and want it to stop. Try "Feng Shui" it's the art of placement of objects, shapes, colors, etc., that affect you and your surroundings. You will need a "bagua" mirror, place it outside of your home, on the wall facing your neighbor's home, it can be hung or glued.Hang it with good intentions that you get your peace and privacy...no bad thoughts or bad intentions toward the neighbor. This will deflect any negative energy. therefore giving you more peace in your home. You may have a local store that sells feng shui products or go online to purchase. Look it up onlne or in books if you need to know more about it...but put the mirror up asap! You may be surprised.

I have a baqgua mirror facing them. It isn't strong enough.

8. profile image0
    Marntzuposted 10 years ago

Lets see... Plant something thick on that side of the yard that will block her view of your house (grapes, raspberries, blackberries, magnolias, roses etc) preferably something nasty to try to push out of the way (that's where raspberries or roses work wonders they are natures barbed wire). For blocking her from listening in you could put a water feature on that side of the yard (loud but not so loud it bothers you) if done right it will generate enough "white noise" to prevent her from hearing anything said on the other side of the water feature. Also a large Dog can be pretty discouraging for eaves dropping.

fpherj48 , thanks for stopping by. It is beyond nosy. She was scoping my kids and asking too many questions about our incomes. It is none of their business. I found it bizarre that she went to my kids. She crossed the line.

9. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

The "Nosy neighbor."  Oh, what a pain.  I feel for you, alphagirl, believe me.  One rarely knows how to handle this delicate situation.  It's not wise to seriously upset someone who lives so close to your own home, especially since they clearly seem to have too much "interest" in you and your life & plenty of idle time.
    Your trellis was an excellent "silent" hint and I'm sure the flowers are a nice addition, but it sounds like your "Gladys Kravitz" didn't take the hint. 
    I tend to agree with some of the comments here that suggest this woman is lonely and/or fairly friendless.  While this is sad, it is not for you to assume any responsibility. 
    My advice stems from what I KNOW, I would do in this case.   To let her know I am "aware" of her presence, I would smile & wave, w/o any verbal exchange...and just keep walking &/or focused on what I am doing.  I would ask my family & friends to speak in lower volume.....so she cannot hear all of your conversations.  You CAN avoid her and basically ignore her, w/o being blatantly rude.  Should she ask "nosy" questions, use very vague, one-word responses, & do not contribute more to the conversation.  She will begin to back off, when she realizes there's not much of "interest" for her to learn!
    It's a shame you have to deal with this, but in the "neighbor dept," people have dealt with MUCH worse.   Count your blessings and remain vigilante!  Good luck.

10. Oztinato profile image76
    Oztinatoposted 9 years ago

You need to log everything in detail with the local police. Eventually you have to take out litigation either through the police or privately. Without the detailed log you can't win.
    Neighbors like that know they are a huge problem and they love it.

11. vignesh118 profile image60
    vignesh118posted 9 years ago

Kinda reminds me of marie from the television sitcom "everybody loves raymond" If thats the case, then just be out with it. dont beat around the bush.

12. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

wow, your neighbor sure is a busy body. Maybe she is lonely. Try talking to her and maybe she will stop

13. Pam Ryan profile image60
    Pam Ryanposted 9 years ago

Nail her head to a barn door. This will shut her up in no time.

14. profile image50
    Sandy Priceposted 8 years ago

Here is an idea for backyard privacy.

https://pycawnings.com/retractable-pati … ide-shades

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)