Would it be possible for me to live the dream and freelance full time?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Emma Harvey profile image83
    Emma Harveyposted 12 years ago

Would it be possible for me to live the dream and freelance full time?

As a working Mother, all I wish to do is give up the day job and be around more for my child and family. I work shift patterns, not knowing when I will be working from one month to the next, so I can't plan and have to give up weekends and evenings. I also hate putting my child into before and after school clubs - I feel I  am not around enough. I am sure there are millions out there like me and need to know if it's possible and where to begin getting work!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5529954_f260.jpg

2. Savva Pelou profile image60
    Savva Pelouposted 12 years ago

Freelancing will challenge you in more ways then you can ever imagine.  Talking from experience I can tell you that freelancing from home opens a world of temptation.  People study at the library, not because its quiet, but because there are no distractions.  For some its a dream, for others its a necessity, for all its a challenge.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

I'm making my living as a writer on HubPages and several other sites.  It took me several years before I really had an income that was survivable, let alone liveable.  Working for yourself often means giving up weekends and evenings to spend time on work especially when you are just getting started.

And working for yourself does not come with health insurance or any paid vacation time.

It can be done, but it takes more work than just finding a day job before it becomes a truly livable option.

4. mesacleanpools profile image60
    mesacleanpoolsposted 12 years ago

Yeah, it's definitely possible. It is just a lot of work to develop a substantial and consistent income.

To develop any security in your freelancing, it's generally best to specialize in your skill/topic of choice. For instance, developing websites is a skill you can develop and if you hook up with someone that sells websites.

Or you can become a SEO content writer or something of the sort.

5. itsmonkeyboy profile image69
    itsmonkeyboyposted 12 years ago

Given your situation it sounds like a fantastic idea. I know people who freelance for a living, although they are generally more marketing etc. and so do have to travel to offices. But I do know of people who write articles for a living and seem to do quite well from it.

I imagine it can be quite a demanding job, and with any job you need a certain amount of luck to get the breaks to get to where you want to be, but you'll never get there if you don't try!

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

I believe with diligence and discipline (which I DO NOT have) a person can make money on Ebay.  There are hundreds of businesses on the site and if you check their feedback you can see they are making tons of sales monthly.

7. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 12 years ago

ABSOLUTELY it's possible! I'm the mother of two, and I had my first at 19. I started freelancing full-time at 20, because I couldn't stand not being there for my son. Now I have a booming business, and am in the midst of launching my freelance training program. Just for some context -- I never went to college, I didn't have anything to recommend me (other than strong language arts skills), and I didn't have any real support until recently...my current husband is my editor, and is the first person other than my mothers (mom and her best friend) to believe that I could really make it big. Feel free to message me, I have a few hubs on freelancing and will be posting a video on how I got started within the next couple of weeks. I love hearing about people who are in a similar place I was, and who are ready to really make a change.

8. jacqui2011 profile image80
    jacqui2011posted 12 years ago

I am in absolutely the same situation as you at the moment. I work full time as a nursery nurse and feel that I work 40+ hours per week looking after other peoples children and would dearly love to be able to afford to spend more time taking care of my daughter. I dread each day having to leave her as she goes to a breakfast club in school and an after school club until 6pm. I have tried to work from home in the past and ended up being scammed several times. I will never give up hope though. Most of the accomplished and successful writers here on HP say that it took them a couple of years to become established. My plan is to write as much as I can over the next year or so and look into every possibility during this time. I would give anything to make a living working from home, and believe that this is possible. My problem seems to be finding sites that are not scams. I have heard a lot of people say that they have made money on ebay, but the trouble is I wouldn't know where to start or what to sell. Time to get my thinking cap on as I don't want to be in the same situation in two years time. Good luck, I hope you find success.

9. whoisbid profile image61
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

I would not recommend it from my own experience unless you have enormous amounts of time on your hands and you are a person who will not give up.

10. Martin Heeremans profile image61
    Martin Heeremansposted 10 years ago

There are numerous ways to earn money in your hubs. Go into your account and fill out some details to start earning money from your quality hubs.

I was reading a previous comment that stated that money can be made from e-bay.

Hubpages has an e-bay earning program, but when it comes to making money on e-bay, purchasing products at a dirt cheap price, auction or sell them at a massive profit for yourself is the best way to go.

In terms of being able to purchase something extremely cheap and being able to sell it and make money easily. Check out gadgetsdealer.com

Gadgetsdealer.com is a website that sells just about anything at a ridiculously low price - This is the easiest way to make money online and I have been for quite some time recently.

All I do is post it on sites like e-bay to sell them.

The website even has pictures of the products so you can place professional looking photos of your current stock on the websites your selling them from.

That website is the ultimate for anyone wanting to make some serious cash.

I hardly tell anyone about that site, but you have child(ren) like myself and I believe a child should be able to spend time with there parents.

They have an option where they do the dropshipping free of charge. You just have to be a regular.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)