Smarter to work part time for 50 k/yr or full time for 100k/yr?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (25 posts)
  1. caderade2 profile image59
    caderade2posted 14 years ago

Which do you see as a better business decision?  Making more money but working more.  Or making less and having much more time to do what you want (either to play more or take on more time consuming business opportunities)?

1. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitely working less and having more time to LIVE. If you're focused on making money 24/7, you are *not* living. 

And what do you need all that money for anyway?  Have you figured out a way to take it with you when you die? Or only to acquire things you can't take with you to the hereafter???

2. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitely 50k/yr. I decided about 8 years ago that I never wanted to do the 9-5pm again - everyday. I like to have 2 days free for other things or business ventures. Surely, there's more to life...

2. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

Suggest you read Tim Ferris's 4 hour work week.

Money is useless if you are dead or unhappy - $50k is more than enough to live a comfortable lifestyle anywhere in the world

1. honestyt4isaac profile image60
      honestyt4isaacposted 14 years agoin reply to this

please how can that money be made, please share with me http://moneyinus.blogspot.com

3. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

That's a very interesting avatar photo, caderade2.  I think I used it on a graphic design job for a chiropractor once... wink

It of course, depends on the person.  However, that being said, some, if they worked PT, would not "play more," but actually do other work that had meaning for them.  50K for 20 hrs. would be like heaven for most artists or writers.  You could pay your bills, live well, save money and invest even, and have the TIME it takes to pursue passions.

Another book, "The End of Work," suggests that we can't afford NOT to end the traditional work week as we now know it.  There are too many people the world over to even allow, actually, for this amount of work, a), b)working is evolving beyond the traditional office setting with strict time awareness...with people working at home, etc., c)'working' as we know it is something of an invention--man (I know, how humanistic) was meant for other things.  Like art, smile

And even if you wanted more $$$$, it would be easier making $50K working 20 hrs. making keen investments (working for yourself) than it is working yourself to grim death working for someone else.

4. caderade2 profile image59

@ Lissie
    That is a great book! I agree with you.

5. caderade2 profile image59

@ Lita
    Haha, I hope you didn't use my back for your chiropractic poster smile I doubt it was the same pic bc i'm the only with it.

I like your comments! I totally agree with you. Why do we work in the first place? To pay necessary bills for the most part.  And then we could spend time doing what we fill would be the most fulfilling.

6. profile image0
    TheSandmanposted 14 years ago

Priorities my friend, do what makes you happy, if you are truly happy making a hundred thousand or a million dollars a year instead of 50 0r 25 thousand,GO FOR it, but above all be sure to be happy, life is way to short not to be. And don't hurt anyone along the way .

1. Kudlit profile image63
      Kudlitposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great advice SandMan.

7. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

I agree with everything that's been said. If working fewer hours enables you to get your bills paid and spend the rest of your time enjoying life, it's a no brainer.
    If you enjoy your work and spending 40+ hours doing it and you get paid well, that's great.
    The bad thing is too often when you get hired for a high salary you are expected to be at the employer's beck and call -- basically they own you. At some point you reach a point in life when you want to own your own life, ya know?

8. Research Analyst profile image74
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

Of course everyone wants to have more time doing the things they enjoy even if it means earning less money at the outset, but eventually because you are happier and less stressed you will probably come up with a great invention that will make you a lot of money. LOL smile

9. ledefensetech profile image67
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't be too sure about that.  If there's one thing I've learned it's to never underestimate the power of paper shuffling or bureaucracy.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A premise in above quoted book.  You could argue with the author, wink (?)

10. ledefensetech profile image67
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Lady I argue with everyone. big_smile

Seriously though, nobody can predict with any certainty what new marvels will be developed in the future that will open new areas of business.  Look at computers 50 years ago or the Internet 20 years ago.  Now they're billion dollar industries and employ Lord knows how many people. 

If there's anything you can count on it will be that people will find a way to make a living somehow.  It's in our best interest to make sure that people can make a living providing quality goods and services, otherwise they'll lie, cheat and steal for their daily bread.

11. profile image51
    uncguy818posted 14 years ago

Good advice from everyone on this one.  I think the most important things is to figure out what your true passion is.  If it is not the full time job, then you are better of working part time and using the spare time pursuing your real passion.  Eventually, you will figure out how to make your living following your passion and can dump the other job.  Like everyone else said, balance and happiness are the keys.

12. EasyLearn profile image59
    EasyLearnposted 14 years ago

If I had $100,000 a year lifestyle then I'd take the $100,000 a year paycheck, if I can live off $50k than I would take the part time and use my free time to learn to leverage my money, skills, or do some good in the world.

Just my .02 cents.

1. 02SmithA profile image59
      02SmithAposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said, I agree!

13. ShortSalesMVP profile image59
    ShortSalesMVPposted 14 years ago

Well I believe it all depends on what you are doing in your spare time, are you generating some passive income when you are not work? and what are the hours, and also remember after taxes that 100K will be substantially less,I guess it all depends on the person and what they are doing.  I would have done the 50K part time.

14. lindagoffigan profile image58
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

What happened to the old adage of $1,000 for each year of life? I guess I answered my own question.  The concept is an old adage.  My bad.

15. The_Drizzle profile image59
    The_Drizzleposted 14 years ago

I definately think you should take the part time job.  There's always more money to be made, more things to be had, more this more that.  The only thing you have a finite supply of, and will never be able to get more of is time.

Your time should be given more value than gold, because you only have a short time here, you better enjoy it.

16. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I'd go with the part time. You will burn most of the rest of the full time income supporting your full time job.More time at home= less expense and free time with family and friends, this makes for more happiness all round.

1. Vee Rose profile image60
      Vee Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Money is not my movtivator, happiness is.  I'll have to go with the 50k part-time.

17. soni2006 profile image78
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

I will also go for the part-time because what is the profit of that money which you do not have time to spend and use. Money is important but not important than life for example if you are given  a chance to take 30 million dollars or death, what you will choose. Of course not death....

18. infinityplusone profile image55
    infinityplusoneposted 14 years ago

I'd say part time as well so you can spend more time with your friends, family and kids. They'll reward you greater than any dollar amount could.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)