Best buying on ebay rules of thumb to follow?

1. IntimatEvolution profile image79
    IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago

Best buying on ebay rules of thumb to follow?

2. Johnrr631992 profile image88
    Johnrr631992posted 6 years ago

BY buying i assume you mean tips to follow before picking a seller. Being someone who sells a lot on ebay these are the rules i follow before buying.
    1 - Be careful of NWOT, if you want to truly ensure something is new, buy it new with tags, because just because it is NWOT just means you cannot prove it was worn.
    2 - Be careful of any dvd's, video games, blu rays, that are new but opened... Unless it is sealed, assume it was used at least once.
    3 - Only buy off people who have at east 10 feedback... Feedback is easy to come by, and if someone has zero, either they are new and might need more experience or help, or it could be someone stealing your money *(not always, but i don't take the chance)
    4 - If selling, do not EVER expect to get retail for your items, unless they are new release electronics, beyond that, your items usually sell for about 50% off..
    5 - Be realistic and pay attention to shipping, its usually in fine print in listings, and you don't want to accidentally buy a dvd for 25 dollars shipping.

3. Man from Modesto profile image84
    Man from Modestoposted 6 years ago

To add to John's #2, if someone has less than a hundred feedback ratings, look to see what they are for. Some scammers "build up" an account by listing and "buying" cheap trinkets. They buy the trinkets themselves using accounts set up for the same purpose. They do this with cheap items to keep their eBay fees low. Then, with 50+ positive feedbacks (from their own fake accounts), they list some expensive items for good prices. They can quickly sell them at the great price, and never deliver to any of them... just cash out and move on.

My tips:

Do not buy from China. I lost $300 paid to a legit dress maker (I think), who later said their account had been hacked and used to scam buyers.

If someone is asking for extra time, be sure it does not exceed the time you have to give negative feedback. Once that is past, you have no recourse via eBay.

Pay with PayPal. I got scammed by a text book seller, and PayPal collected the money for me. Seller listed with an ISBN number for a legitimate text. I received a "professor's review only" version, the kind publishers send to profs hoping they will specify them for the course. As a reseller, the text is actually illegal to sell, so I was robbed. Seller even denied he received the return. Still PayPal asked for my tracking number, confirmed he received it, and took the money from his bank account. I only lost my return shipping costs.

working