jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you stare at the talker when you listen to somedody? Does it make the talker

1. Hui (蕙) profile image80
    Hui (蕙)posted 6 years ago

Do you stare at the talker when you listen to somedody? Does it make the talker uncomfortible?

2. Jessi10 profile image77
    Jessi10posted 6 years ago

I dont think I do, but when I talk, I really dont like it when people stare at me. I know that they aren't staring at me because i'm weird, but when someone just sits in front of me, and looks at me like staring, I do feel odd. I kinda want to tell them, can you look somewhere else?

Its weird, but its how I am..

3. Sheila Lee profile image61
    Sheila Leeposted 6 years ago

Making eye contact is very important when listening. It shows the person that you are paying attention to them.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I try to look at them while they are talking to me, though not stare.  I try to listen, look into their eyes, then glance away for a second or two.  It can be really hard.  We have a cleaning lady at work who is the sweetest gal, very nice.  But--she has lost most of the teeth in front except one right in the front and it is really distracting when she talks to you.  Hard not to stare, so I try very hard to look right into her eyes when she is talking to me.

5. ivantsoft profile image61
    ivantsoftposted 6 years ago

eye contact is important. Of course, you should not stare at the talker as if you have seen Elvis alive smile

6. athena2011 profile image57
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

I think it is polite to look at a person when they are talking to me, but I definitely would not call it staring. At times, if I sense that the person is beginning to feel uncomfortable I will look away and then look back at them.

I think staring would definitely make the talker uncomfortable so avoid doing it.

7. xethonxq profile image66
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

I don't stare, but I try to give engaging eye contact that will encourage the other person to continue to talk.

8. EclecticFusion profile image78
    EclecticFusionposted 6 years ago

I definitely make eye contact while talking with someone, but I don't stare. That would probably make me and the other person uncomfortable. I believe that if someone tries to avoid your eyes completely while having a conversation, they can't be trusted.

working