What does it mean when a woman stares at you for a long time?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (22 posts)
  1. soconfident profile image71
    soconfidentposted 11 years ago

What does it mean when a woman stares at you for a long time?

Ok here the situation: This cute girl that I like stares at me every time I speak to hear. She doesnt say anything she just stares at me. Sometimes I think its something I said, but even thing I said to her is about work. For Example, I ask her where the manager and all she did was stare at me for like 10 seconds before giving a respond.

2. NC4Life078 profile image74
    NC4Life078posted 11 years ago

It could be anything. Perhaps she thinks before she speaks or maybe she is just slow. It could be that she wasn't listening. Have you ever looked at someone while they were talking but you were not really there? They then ask a question and expect an answer. You then need to think if you heard what they said so you can formulate a response. The best thing you can do is ask her in a way that doesn't offend her or just get used to it. Ask her out if you like her, if she says no then you know she isn't interested. Another thing you can do is watch her respond to other people. Is it quick or is it similar to how she responds to you. This should give you an idea of her intentions.

soconfidentposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Im going to try to get to know her a little bit more and see where it takes me

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image83
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 11 years ago

Maybe she thinks you are cute, could be. Chances are though like many people maybe she likes to form the correct answer before answering, especially if it is work related and you are there in front of her so naturally in her line of vision.

4. AlexK2009 profile image84
    AlexK2009posted 11 years ago

It could indeed be anything. Maybe she does not speak English too well or is a bit deaf: and perhaps you have a strong regional accent.  Maybe she just thinks you incredibly ugly/old/stupid/whatever.

Don't assume it is because she fancies you. That is a dangerous assumption.

NC4Life078  makes good points. Try to make a few jokes and see how long before she responds.  Just make sure the joke will not get you into trouble with your employer.

5. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

Wow what a great question...I would not  venture a guess...but I find all the answers pretty informative..Thanks

6. profile image0
    SparrowMinistriesposted 11 years ago

Some people can switch form one task to another very quickly, to the point where it appears that they are "multi-tasking" or doing or thinking about two or more things at once.  Others must give full attention to one task at a time.  It takes several seconds to several minutes to "switch gears."  If she is busy, whether apparent or not, focusing on something, and you walk up abruptly and ask a question, it may take ten seconds for her to "check out" of the mental task she was engaged in, and then repeat in her mind with comprehension, the words you spoke to her.

You might try walking up, saying her name, then saying, can I ask you a question? and wait for her to give you her full attention before asking a question.  You might also try asking someone else, if possible, because she may be getting irritated with you interrupting her work.

It is not personal, it is just a personality trait.  It sounds like you are wondering if maybe she stares at you because she has a crush on you.  I say that she may like you, but I don't think the staring is an indication of that, unless she is smiling and flirting with you as well.

I suggest if you are interested in her that you open a frank conversation with her, during her break or after work.  It is hard for anyone to know for sure based on the limited infomation you are able to give us, and not being there to observe first hand, but that is just what it sounds like to me.  Good luck.

The other day she was smiling at me after I said hello and she just stared at me.

2. profile image0
      SparrowMinistriesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps the underlying question was, I like a girl and I think she likes me, but I'm not sure.  What should I do? The only way you can know for sure is to take the risk and ask.  Nothing ventured nothing gained. Anything worth having involves risk.

7. movielardatadare profile image56
    movielardatadareposted 11 years ago

I do that stuff myself.  Sometimes I'll just stare at somebody when they ask me or tell me something.  See, I do it to act a fool.  I try to see if the person will laugh and sometimes they do.  Sometimes I can tell they feel a little awkward, so I'll be laughing inside while trying to keep a straight face on the outside.  Perhaps she's trying to make you laugh.  Maybe she likes you.  I like to joke around with folks, so I stare at folks to make them laugh.  Maybe you can ask her why she stares at you for so long and see if she'll tell you.  Couldn't hurt.  Or perhaps she may even be tripping on some sort of chemical or medication.

no she not on a medication I don't think. There are times where she will stare at me while Im talking to someone else.

2. movielardatadare profile image56
      movielardatadareposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, that will allow us to eliminate medication.  Since she stares at you while you're talking to others, that will reduce our possibilities.  I doubt she's trying to make you laugh.  My guess is that she likes you, then.  If so, pursue her!

8. visionandfocus profile image68
    visionandfocusposted 11 years ago

She's a brazen hussy. haha Just kidding. Like the other responders, I believe it can be anything. She could be thinking you look like someone but she can't quite figure out who. She could be tripping and having some psychedelic out-of-body experience. She could be a clone and just standing in for the original and so does not feel she needs to entertain you with conversation. She may be incapable of a decent conversation. She may be playing "Let's see who blinks first" without telling you the game has already started. She might just have had Botox injections and cannot for the life of her manage a normal human expression.
    The possibilities are endless. Stop trying to figure it out and ask her already.

1. movielardatadare profile image56
      movielardatadareposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is hilarious!  This looks like something I would've come up with, but even better!  A clone!  Let's see who blinks first!  Ha ha!  Great comment visionandfocus!  Voted up.

9. TerryK81 profile image60
    TerryK81posted 11 years ago

Look in her eyes; what do they say? Are they spacey, clueless, amused, or thinking you're special? With me, the eyes say the truth if you look in them. But if a girl just stared at me like that...well, i'm a guest on this site and I don't wanna piss off the ladies

10. profile image0
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7877622_f260.jpg

soconfident,
    When a woman stares at you for a long time before answering a question she's trying to tell you that she likes you and wants you to continue to engage her. She might even be signaling you that it's okay to ask her out. Maybe she's too shy to ask you out. If you like her go for it. Who knows if she likes you that much you'll probably have a great time with her out on a date.
    Lisa

11. WalterPoon profile image69
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

It's hard to say... it depends on whether it's a hot stare, a cold stare, or a warm stare. All I know is that it means just that... the woman was staring at you for a long time.

There was once a woman was staring at me. She was waiting for me to do what she thought I would do and when I did exactly what she thought I would do, she immediately started yelling. I guess that same situation does not apply to you with that cute girl, but it might apply to you after you marry her, LOL.

So, as I said, it's hard to say.

1. profile image52
      patriciapatposted 6 years agoin reply to this

my name is PATRICIA  please write through my  private email [ pattingey42@gmail.com ] i have something important to discuss with you through email,

12. LensMan999 profile image58
    LensMan999posted 10 years ago

Usually men feel that it is some kind of attraction. But it may not be the reason always. She may be thinking of something else while looking at you or may be confused about what reply she should give for your question. It's better not to judge all by yourself.
    The best thing to do is ask the women why she was staring at you for a long time. Her reply is sure to bring all your doubts and confusions at a once.

1. WalterPoon profile image69
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LensMan999, I doubt you can get a sincere answer by asking in most instances. But in others, you may well be right, e.g. she finds your nose rather attractive, LOL.

13. friendtaster profile image59
    friendtasterposted 10 years ago

lol! Because I'm a starer. Guilty. My mother, sisters, and brothers always got on me, when i was young. Staring sometimes mean absolutely nothing at all...most of the time, I'm simply staring to stare..my mind is on pause..too much information going through it ...so I pause. Recent study on women and men and how there brains work. (Dr. Oz) ...staring can be dangerous, when riding the New York City Subway...lol!
    People are tense enough as it is, so i wear shades alot to cover the blank stare...I'm not on pause brain all the time, just so you know...when I engage you will know it!  Could be the same for her. :-) Great question.

14. KL Klein profile image68
    KL Kleinposted 10 years ago

Maybe she thinks you're cute. Maybe she's noticed you have dinner spilled on your tie. Maybe she thinks you are fascinatingly ugly. Maybe she's wondering if you're that cousin of her co-worker's boyfriend she met one time, and if she should recognize you or not. Or maybe she's just staring blankly, and not even noticing you at all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)