jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How would you go about becoming the go-to-expert in your field?

1. KarenCreftor profile image90
    KarenCreftorposted 6 years ago

How would you go about becoming the go-to-expert in your field?

2. BizGenGirl profile image90
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

First, pick someone in your chosen field who is already successful and model them in attitude, perception, skill and outlook. Then take what you learn from that experience and define yourself in your chosen field in a new and/or better way.

3. athena2011 profile image56
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

I would do this by becoming a research fanatic so that I am constantly learning and staying on top of the most relevant and important information in my field of choice.

This would include interacting with,or following, the movers and the shakers to know what is the latest and best information pertaining to the field.

Then I would create a blog around the topic and share what I learn there for my visitors to benefit.

I say this because I am actually  in the process of doing this in the field of stress, anxiety, panic, depression and the pursuit of happiness right now and I want to be the go-to-expert on these topics.

4. JLBender profile image71
    JLBenderposted 6 years ago

You need to have knowledge of the field and promote yourself like crazy. Since you will never stop learning, you need to promote yourself as much as possible. Start writing articles online, getting published in scholarly journals and maybe even start writing a book.

Once you have built your reputation and have a high amount of knowledge, you can start pitching yourself to be a field expert for newspapers, radio shows and television shows.

There are plenty of people with great amounts of knowledge in a certain field. The ones that are well known did a great jobs promoting themselves.

5. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Studying, researching, focusing, listening, understanding, and note taking. If you don't do it yourself, you will never be the best at it. Unless you have photographic memory. I have always been envious of them...

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image97
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 6 years ago

Lots of research and then more research. Get a job in the field if you can; it's a great way to gain expertise. If you want to be the 'expert' writer, start out with small pieces that are well-researched and original. Pick basic themes of your chosen field but give them fresh language and a new slant. Then gradually begin adding to your portfolio on the subject.

Many people on a recent Answer thread said writing has to be from personal experience or emotion. I don't feel that's true for non-fiction; in fact, it can inhibit you from being the 'expert' in that field. Non-fiction writers are needed everywhere, in all sorts of arenas. You can build a great career writing in corporate or other settings.

7. SantaCruz profile image71
    SantaCruzposted 6 years ago

Teach classes in your field of expertise. For example, a person selling SEO writing could teach a class in writing for the web. This would raise his/her profile as an expert among attendees & people who see the ad for classes, plus the person could introduce herself as an educator to every new contact.

8. efroide profile image59
    efroideposted 6 years ago

studying a lot about it. and researching what I should do to improve

working