Have you ever had a "bully" for a boss? What did you do to deal with it?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Virtual Treasures profile image71
    Virtual Treasuresposted 6 years ago

Have you ever had a "bully" for a boss?  What did you do to deal with it?

2. Joelipoo profile image81
    Joelipooposted 6 years ago

I had one at a car dealership I worked at during college.  I wasn't overly concerned about keeping the job, so I would give him attitude back.  The full-time workers there could not do that for fear of their job.  He ended up getting fired by upper-management because of his mean ways, and it never came back to hurt me that I was slightly defiant towards him.

3. JamesPoppell profile image83
    JamesPoppellposted 6 years ago

I was unfortunate enough to have a bully for a boss. It was some time ago, but a few of us small minded employees got together and launched operation, "see ya wouldn't wanna be ya." We did not do anything that would hurt anyone else, but we did withhold vital information on a few occasions. We did this three times and after the third time he was transferred to another area and we did our victory dance. Do I feel bad about this? Absolutely not. I do not feel sorry for mean spirited bullies. Good question.

4. JKenny profile image91
    JKennyposted 6 years ago

My current boss is a bully, she picks out favorites and treats them better than the others. I can't quit my job, because of money, so my solution is to look for another job. When I eventually leave, I hope I can muster the guts to tell her what I really think of her.

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image95
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 6 years ago

Yes - it's no fun. In each case, the bully eventually ended up having to move on, or was forced out. But it's torture while they're still there.  I've always been truthful about the issues when asked. Unfortunately, that didn't bring about any rapid changes.

6. point2make profile image79
    point2makeposted 6 years ago

I did have a bully for a boss once. It was terrible and no matter how I tried to do my job he was never satisfied with my work and made my life miserable. In the end, rather than quitting my job, I believe I came up with a rather novel approach. I told his wife how he acted when she was not around. Worked like a charm!  She straightened him out very quickly and all the employees were relieved and the workplace became a much more enjoyable place to come to. To my knowledge he never did find out who talked to his wife......lucky for me.

7. xethonxq profile image65
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

Yes I did...and he was a sexist. I set the tone for him about me (but in a firm, respectful way) and made sure his level peers know I did it so I wouldn't be unfairly scrutinized. He was the A** word at best.

8. Catzgendron profile image72
    Catzgendronposted 6 years ago

I once had a boss who told me to drop my 1 year old at the hospital and get back to work.  Mind you the doctors thought she had spinal meningitis.  And she actually had children.  i can't imagine how their life must have been.  Needless to say, I quit!!

Virtual Treasuresposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I am glad you were able to stick up for yourself and your child!

9. BeingOtherWoman profile image60
    BeingOtherWomanposted 6 years ago

Oh, my YES!!!  My last boss was not only a bully.

This was in a municipal court office.  I was the only caucasian in an office with a staff of 5.  Everything was going well, until a month after I started working there.  That's when a deputy administrator was hired.  This man/boy was racist.  We would all joke around with each other on down times and there was never a problem until he got there.  If I would make a comment, he would go to my boss and say "Are you going to let her talk to you like that?"  Keep in mind that I never said anything out of malice.

It didn't take long before my boss picked up on his prejudices.  She started screaming at me like I was a child if I didn't do something her way.  I was called a "pig" for washing my hands in the office sink when there was no soap in the ladies room (even though the man/boy washed his hands in that same sink not 5 minutes before me). 

Every day, she would talk to me like I was a child.  She and the deputy tried their hardest to get me to quit, but I stuck it out.  Even the judge (who was also black) jumped on the bandwagon.  If I was in court working on dispositions, and a defendant had to hand him paperwork, he would say "give that to the lady at the end of the counter".  Everyone else had a name ("please give that to officer so and so" or "Ms Smith will help with interpreting"). 

The deputy lied about me and after a meeting with the judge and Human Resources, I was suspended, first for a week, then for a month.  I spoke with the HR director about these problems and he said nothing could be done even after I voiced concern that she wanted me gone.  Nothing was done even when I sent a memo about all the city rules she violated, including drinking on the job.

Well, 3 days after my one month suspension, I was terminated.  I filed for unemployment and the next day, I filed an EEOC complaint. 

I vowed never to work for anyone else ever again, so I started my own business.  That was 1 year ago.  Now I'm stress-free and happy.  EEOC complaint still pending.

Virtual Treasuresposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I really hope you find some resolution.  Nobody deserves to be treated this way or bullied.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)