jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should character education be a formalized training program?

1. GmaGoldie profile image77
    GmaGoldieposted 6 years ago

Should character education be a formalized training program?

Character Counts is a specific program that can be implemented at a school or a community. Has anyone experienced this firsthand? If so, please share your experience. If not, do you think it would be wise to formalize the 6 pillars of character? Or should this be left strictly at home for parents to educate and train?

Here's a summary of the program: T R R F C C Students can use this acronym to help them remember that people with good character are terrific:
    T rustworthiness
    R espect
    R esponsibility
    F airness
    C aring
    C itizenship

2. H P Roychoudhury profile image47
    H P Roychoudhuryposted 6 years ago

Yes, Character education is a formalized training education that I am saying what the teachings of ancient Hindu Vedic culture were. It was in this period there was no school, no road except few praying centers inside deep jungles. The religious teachers were there who were called Rishi. Children were trained there under strict discipline starting with Morning Prayer, working in the plantation, playing among themselves, horse riding, swimming, archery and singing. Daily routine work build up there character whereby they learn to give selfless service with faith and sincerity.

3. Sushma Webber profile image84
    Sushma Webberposted 6 years ago

Character building is essential and should begin in childhood. I am glad to see that the education system is emphasizing it through a formal programme. Parents nowadays are left to themselves to bring up their kids and cannot pay much attention to character building when they are so busy keeping the boat afloat.

Parents also don't seem to like others disciplining their child. This I think is a great loss for the child. It will never understand that there are consequences to its actions. It is said that it takes a village to bring up a child. TRRFCC seems like a good idea.

I am an early childhood teacher and the parents appreciate our input in character building for their kids at our centre.

We used to have a special subject called 'Moral Science' when I was at primary school and what I learnt then I have not forgotten.

4. profile image50
    Hifiposted 6 years ago

Good question. But what if there was a conclusive study about it which proves that Character Education does absolutely nothing except waste time and money?

October 2010, a federal study, the largest and most thorough ever conducted, found that schoolwide Character Education programs produce exactly ZERO improvements in student behavior or academic performance.

Character Counts! stands out as a poster child for what they found wrong.

It's no surprise. Just take a look at the lists of values and goals of the dozens of competing CE offerings. The lack of agreement between the lists is one of the most damning aspects of character education! It also becomes obvious that the majority of the values follow a conservative agenda, concerned with conformity, submitting to authority, not making a fuss...

One thing all these programs do agree on is what values are NOT included on their lists of core values. Not found, even though they are fundamental to the history and success of our nation are such noted values as independence, calculated risk, ingenuity, curiosity, critical thinking, skepticism, and even moderation. "Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!" the famous saying by Ms. Frizzle on the much celebrated TV show, The Magic School Bus, embodies values that would be antithetical to those found in today’s character education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_ … troversies

working