jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Have you ever been bullied in the work place? What did you do to protect yoursel

1. michememe profile image79
    michememeposted 5 years ago

Have you ever been bullied in the work place? What did you do to protect yourself or co-workers?

I have never been bullied, but I have witness others use their power of authority to intimidate others. Even when it wasn't my place, I stepped up and immediately went to HR. This prompted an investigation which gave immediate relief to others. If you say or do nothing, well nothing happens. It is up to those with voices to speak up for those who are afraid.

2. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Not bullying exactly. I have always gotten along well with co-workers until I went to this one bank.  I just could not break in to the circle.  I would say something and see someone roll their eyes and glance at each other like I was the biggest idiot on the planet.  So while it wasn't bullying it did serve to erode some of my self confidence because I could not figure out what it was about me they disliked. I had never had it happen before.  I only worked there 2 months and left but I still think about it.

3. michememe profile image79
    michememeposted 5 years ago

That is so awful duffsmom. That is a form of isolation. How can people be so cruel? I will never understand that. Rolling their eyes? If we are in a workplace, then people should behave as adults. Not as if we are in a pre-school. I am so sorry you went through that, it hurts me to my heart to know this. However, you never let anyone take away from you your self confidence. It's the one thing you own, and it's all yours. If people can treat you that way without just cause, then clearly they were the wrong people for you to be friends with anyway. They don't know what they missed in not having insightful converstations with you. Their loss.

4. profile image66
    Beaksposted 5 years ago

Yes. I've had it happen a couple of times over the years. I quit in each case. I didn't see any reason to stay and fight, which would have made things even more unpleasant and awful. The way I figured it, I am intelligent and well-educated. If they can't be pleasant to me, they don't get to use my talents on the job. It's really as simple as that. There are plenty of places that will treat you well to ever stay at a place that doesn't. Heck, if you can't find one that does treat you well, form your own business. More people than ever are doing that and finding success.

5. Tonipet profile image83
    Tonipetposted 5 years ago

People doing these things are a distress, so we all have to be ready. I think I'd play with them nicely by letting them be and continue to be friends with them. To protect others, I'd surely ask them why the treatment, or what the other person has done to be treated that way... If things are worst, I'd tell the HR. People into these things are in dire need of a little sit-down-talking. It's one thing we can do to help them. Very engaging question. Thank you!

6. Lipnancy profile image93
    Lipnancyposted 5 years ago

Yes, my first professional job that I had for 10 years, all the staff was bullied by the Director. It was so bad that if he had a headache on a certain day, no one was allowed to talk. I am not afraid of men but at that time I was petrified of that man.

But after that job I worked for the nicest, kindest boss there ever was. So now I cannot imagine working in a hostile environment ever again.