jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

How do I ignore/cope with an annoying sarcastic co-worker?

1. Esenbee profile image60
    Esenbeeposted 5 years ago

How do I ignore/cope with an annoying sarcastic co-worker?

I would say that I'm pretty much emotionally "strong" and I can generally tolerate non-sense "almost" at any level..."almost" lol. But this one co-worker that I have is GETTING ON MY LAST NERVES! I'm tired of the unnecessary sarcasm and the "know a lot about nothing" attitude! Many times I just want to throw punches and be done with it...but I can't do that. So, what are some ways that I can deal with or better yet IGNORE this person?

2. rutley profile image75
    rutleyposted 5 years ago

Let out a huge fart and blame it on her or him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Honestly, I love sarcasm and would adore this person. Unless they are entirely negative all the time. Sarcasm to me is entertaining and creative. If the person is not creative about it, I would get irritated and try to ignore her or tell her to get better sarcastic lines.

4. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

If you are just about willing to throw punches than you shouldn't have a problem confronting them verbally, if you haven't already. Start with a helpful suggestion that their sarcasm doesn't really go over so well with some people (you included). If it continues be more firm. Demand that they interact with you professionally--meaning only when they need to for purposes of work and in a tone and manner that are respectful. If that still doesn't work than discuss the problem with a supervisor.

Alternatively, if you want to combat sarcasm with a comparable tactic, get a pair of those hearing protection earmuffs, like for construction, and just put them on anytime they start talking to you, and then continually say, "What, I can't hear you."

5. Esenbee profile image60
    Esenbeeposted 5 years ago

LOL!! Thanks everybody!! I love everyone's answers! I have some good ideas now because of y'all!! smile smile

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

You cannot change someone else, so the only one you can control is you.  So ignore this person altogether.  If they say something smart or sarcastic don't respond at all.  As a sarcastic person who has a smart comment for everything, I do realize it can get tiring.  In my case, my sarcasm is how I deal with feeling inadequate or uneasy in a situation. I don't know what to say so I pop off.

I think ignoring it will be the best way to combat it because this person is likely not to change.  Simply act like you do not hear them and if they repeat their remarks as if looking for your attention, just nod in a disinterested way and move on to something else or speaking to someone else.

1. Esenbee profile image60
      Esenbeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer. I will definitely try this out. I have done this a few days out of the week and it did work. My sanity was regained! Thanks again! smile