jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

How do you react when someone gives you a compliment followed by a sarcastic rem

1. Princess Prisca profile image60
    Princess Priscaposted 6 years ago

How do you react when someone gives you a compliment followed by a sarcastic remark?

How do you react when someone gives you a compliment followed by a sarcastic remark?
    Is there ever a perfect moment to lay on the sarcasm?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6099146_f260.jpg

2. yellowstone8750 profile image60
    yellowstone8750posted 6 years ago

Ask them to explain themselves; otherwise, ignore them.

3. profile image0
    Phoebe Pikeposted 6 years ago

I'll normally laugh it off. Most of my friends joke around a lot, so it's not uncommon and often they mean the opposite. If it's not one of my friends, I don't mind. Why should I? Sarcasm is normally a joke or just something to allow another person to relieve stress. I like to think of it as being a human stressball.

4. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

If they give you a compliment followed by sarcasm it sounds like jealousy. Either ignore the sarcasm or you could respond by saying something like "Don't you know that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and the highest level of ignorance." Personally I think most idiots like this are not worth responding to and I'd blank them.

5. charles wade profile image59
    charles wadeposted 6 years ago

I can never tell which is which from "those kind of people".  So I guess I don't really listen to them much.

6. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

I like them more. Sarcasm, if used correctly, is my favorite type of communication. If someone can use sarcasm in an intelligent and amazing way, they are more respected in my book. Normally, I just throw one back at them.

7. Marturion profile image59
    Marturionposted 6 years ago

This is a classic push-pull bit used by guys to hit on women for years.  At some point, women started using it to assert a kind of dominance over other women.  In either situation, it is just manipulation, designed to make you doubt yourself.  the good news, whether it's being done by a guy trying to throw you off in order to lay on aline, or by a woman trying to show you how much better she is, it is always done when in the presence of someone that makes them intimidated, themselves.  My advice is, next time it happens, smile, put a hand on their shoulder, and say "It's okay.  you don't have to act tough and domineering on my account.  I won't think any less of you for being a decent human being."  Then walk away.

1. profile image51
      Kiwi97posted 4 years agoin reply to this

What if the guy compliments you, but has a sarcastic undertone to the compliment? Is it him feeling awkward and having it so he can play it off as a joke if you don't respond the way he wanted? Or is he joking?

8. Ana Teixeira profile image82
    Ana Teixeiraposted 6 years ago

my opinion on sarcasm is this : Sarcasm, because beating the crap out of people is illegal! xD

working