jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What pct. of people in the US actually have jobs?

1. ShootersCenter profile image76
    ShootersCenterposted 5 years ago

What pct. of people in the US actually have jobs?

Someone tried to tell me that 60-80% of people have jobs. I guessed that only about 100-110 million people work of the 330 million people, which is only a third supporting the whole country. Does anyone know what the actual numbers are?

2. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 5 years ago

Keep in mind that a lot of those 330 million people are children and elderly below and above the working age.  Also, keep in mind that there is a large underground economy that are counted as people without jobs, but they are actually working making a living for themselves.  It's just that they don't show up on government statistics.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Do you mean out of the total number of people or out of the total working age people. If you mean out of working age then 60 to 80% sounds on track. If you mean everyone then you are probably correct since the children and elderly population are not able to work. Also Rock made a good point. A lot of people work that don't show up on statistics.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That makes me think of a number of people that work under the table (no documentation of work) in my state.

4. Bretsuki profile image77
    Bretsukiposted 5 years ago

Also in addition to those exceptions mentioned previously we would need to take into account people who are in prison, they cannot hold down regular jobs also even at times of full employment there is a hard core of people who will always refuse to work.

Government figures are also distorted in the fact they may measure either the number of working jobs in the economy or they may measure the numbers of potential workers.

The number of working jobs figure is distorted because some people may work two or three part time jobs. The potential worker figure would cover the estimated number of people of working age regardless of whether they are able to work or not.
    Your original ball park figure of about 60% would therefore be in a good area to describe the true figure.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good material, Bretsuki! And some people, as in when we were laid off in 2005, accept contractor work. I think that won't show an employed person in govt data until the person files IRS as self-employed the following Spring. Not sure.

working