jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you believe that Temp Services should be capped at 30 or less hours a week to

1. LAURENS WRIGHT profile image50
    LAURENS WRIGHTposted 5 years ago

Do you believe that Temp Services should be capped at 30 or less hours a week to provide more jobs ?

Temp Job Services provide workers to fill in at job sites for a time.  Some temps work upward to 120 hours a week and 7 days a week.  Holding down the hours that a temp could work would give more jobs to be filled.

2. Goody5 profile image70
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

I don't believe that there should be any caps on hours. There are plenty of families out there that depend on this income for bills and to feed their children. This is a tough world that we live in now, and for some those temp jobs are all that's available to them! Keep on hubbing!

3. MarleneB profile image98
    MarleneBposted 5 years ago

For many, many years I worked for a temp service company and enjoyed it a lot. I actually prefer to work as a temp than a permanent employee for the freedom it allows me to work as many or as few hours as I need to maintain my household. I think there should NOT be caps on hours. With caps, in cases where the pay is not substantial enough, working 30 hours maximum may not be enough to allow me to maintain my household. I need the flexibility to work as many hours as needed to sustain a minimum amount of income to pay bills and live a sustainable lifestyle.

4. joyfuldesigns profile image66
    joyfuldesignsposted 5 years ago

No, I don't think temp hours should be capped.  I worked as a temp for 5 years at a single large corporation.  I needed the work as much as anyone else did.  Temps are equally needing those jobs.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

No, that would require more regulations. We are over regulated as it is.

6. mattforte profile image92
    mattforteposted 5 years ago

120 hours a week. So...17 hours a day, 7 days a week eh?
    Show me where you get these numbers please.

Honestly, I've worked with many temps - and they're rarely given OT. If they do, it is usually when they have an extended contract, and the employer specifically asks them if they want to work an extra shift or stay extra hours.
    Capping it at 30 hours would be pointless. Ok, so you give more people jobs working less hours....so that they have to go get other jobs to make up the extra hours they could be working to make a full time income. Now instead of getting a steady 5 day work week of 8 hour shifts, they're working split shifts among varied days...wearing them out and preventing them from spending time with family. I don't see that as being any better.

Besides that - it isn't the temp agency's job to make sure there are "more jobs available" they're in the business of providing employers with workers, and providing workers with a paycheck.

If you're going to do that..might as well go all the way and put a cap on regular employess to work 30 hours instead of 40. I don't think that'd make anybody happy.

7. ReneeDC1979 profile image62
    ReneeDC1979posted 5 years ago

I absoutely do not thing temp services should cap the hours.  I've worked as a temp and just the fact that you don't get benefits - you need every penny you get.  Also, after being unemployed for several months, the temp jobs were the ones that came the easiest and allowed me to keep my head above water and pay my bills.

working