jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Do you have any tips for marketing a thrift store?

1. profile image71
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

Do you have any tips for marketing a thrift store?

I manage a thrift store, and I am wondering if you have any tips on marketing.  We have a low (read: essentially zero) marketing budget, but I still need to get more people in the door.  Currently we use Facebook, word of mouth, and occasionally press releases.

2. kitkat1141 profile image87
    kitkat1141posted 5 years ago

I don't know what your storefront is like, but if you have a window, I would put together outfits top to bottom including accessories from belts, purses, hat, shoes.  This will bring people into the store who would have otherwise walked by.  People need to visualize how to pull together an outfit, especially in a thrift store where no two items are alike.  Maybe a sign in the window listing some of the current high end brands you have in stock, with the suggested retail price slashed to show your bargain price.  Name drop!!  Approach your local paper to run an article on the bargain brand names you carry, and pictures of the pulled together outfits. People always love money saving ideas!

1. profile image71
      ElleBeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we already do some window displays, but I'll admit they're far from creative and this is definitely a MAJOR area for improvement in our store.  I think I can convince them that new hooks for the windows are in budget smile

2. teaches12345 profile image94
      teaches12345posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree the displays must attract attention.  Also the layout of the store inside must be well designed and attractive.  I did an artile on professional development on a local thrift shop that has a great layout.  It does very well in sales.

3. profile image71

Very true teaches and unfortunately our store does not have a good layout sad and there's really nothing I can do about it because our space is TINY.

3. jodeci profile image60
    jodeciposted 5 years ago

You could either design flyers yourself, go to vistaprint, or another venue where you can get flyers copied for an inexpensive price. Vistaprint do business cards too, so maybe vistaprint will be best to start, sometimes they have package deals for starting your business usually for an affordable price. Facebook is a great start, try twitter that may help too.

Ask some local businesses, churches, and maybe some recreational centers if you can post a flyer about your business. If there are saloons around like a hair or nail saloon ask if you can leave some business cards and post your flyer, these businesses usually don't mind if you leave your business card or post your flyer on a bullentin board. You may also ask a local library or laundry mat if you can leave a flyer.

I wish you good luck with your business. I hope this helps.

1. profile image71

Our office LOVES vista print. We use them for our business cards, flyers, banners, postcards etc. etc.   I am going to ask about putting more flyers up.  No rec center in our city but I'll definitely try the other suggested places for posting. Thanks

4. Pixienot profile image74
    Pixienotposted 5 years ago

I too help to manage a Thrift Store and there is no budget for marketing. This is when a little creativity comes in handy.

Cute flyers, describing something interesting and compelling in your store is an idea. For instance: Lots of Christmas decorations; Christmas Gifts(silver, glass, ornamental).

What is your specialty?  Ours is "All Clothing and Shoes $1.00." We are in a economically hard hit area.

Change out your window display as often as you can. I sell a lot right out of my windows. Stay seasonal.

Other than the flyers, which cost time more than anything else, word of mouth and remaining positive so folks who do wander in want to stay a while and want to come back. (Know as much of your inventory as possible.)

Wear your smile any time someone comes into your shop. (Oh, and have soft music playing)

It is amazing what atmosphere spurs we humans to shop and come back where the "good feelings" permeated.

If folks don't buy this time, invite them back and thank them for stopping by. Make them know you value their time. Because you really do.

I hope this helps. It is a very good question. I'll be watching to see what I can learn. I am really new to marketing myself.