jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

During your entire career, when was it easiest to find good employment?

1. Efficient Admin profile image93
    Efficient Adminposted 4 years ago

During your entire career, when was it easiest to find good employment?

I can remember good times and bad times.  The bad times only seemed to last a few months or maybe a year and then the economy seemed to bounce back.  Now the recession seems to drag on forever.

During your working life, which decades (or timeframes) do you remember it was much easier to secure decent employment?  For me:  mid-1980s in Washington DC area and late 1990s in Atlanta area.  Those are the only two times I remember being able to find a job quick and easy.  However, it started getting tough around the year 2000.

2. profile image0
    KEPitzposted 4 years ago

I've been a part of the work force since 1978 and getting a job was so easy! I was most financially stable between then and all during the 80s. In 91, I became a stay at home mom and didn't go back to work until 2002. I couldn't find a decent job in my industry - graphic production - so I ended up in auto/truck parts as a delivery driver. I was let go after a work-related injury, but found another job as an office manager for a truck parts distributor. I only collected one unemployment check before I was working again. I honestly had no idea how really bad the job market was when I was laid off in 2011. I figured I'd have another job in a few weeks - 2 months, tops. It's been over 2 years now, my unemployment benefits ran out last August. I'm applying to jobs daily if I can. I get interviews every week. Unfortunately, nobody seems to want to hire someone over 50 these days - especially someone who's been out of work for this long. I've never seen the economy this bad, and I've never in my life been so worried about the future... MY future! I don't care what the news says, or what the analysts say about the economy getting better. From where I'm standing, there's been no improvement, and jobs here in Southern California are scarce for average working stiffs. Unless you've got degrees in engineering fields, computer technology, or the medical industry, the prospects aren't so great.
    (And it really, really SUCKS!)

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I started out in banking when I was 17 and never had trouble finding a job when I wanted to work until the recession in the early 80's.  Until then, people used to call me and ask me if I wanted to go to work.

Times are different now for sure.

4. profile image0
    WhiteMuseposted 4 years ago

When I was 23 I had just moved to NYC. I had stayed in the same co. for almost 3 years. I then was offered work at different important companies in NYC. I should have taken a couple of the offers. One of them was from South African Airways and I should have stayed at Four Winds Travel. I went on to NYU.

5. profile image0
    Casimiroposted 4 years ago

I started in the software industry around 1988. Then, if you could fog a mirror, you had a job, great stock options, average yearly raises around 10%, etc. If you didn't like where you were working or wanted to move up, you could always find some other firm to entice you away. That party lasted over 15 years, then leveled out, then I got out.

6. CWanamaker profile image97
    CWanamakerposted 4 years ago

To be honest I have never had trouble finding a job.  I've even been offered jobs when I wasn't looking. I have been working continuously for over 12 years and I hope the trend continues.