jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What do you suggest I wear for the first day working at a bank?

1. profile image72
    ElleBeeposted 4 years ago

What do you suggest I wear for the first day working at a bank?

I am beginning work at a bank (as a teller) and am curious as to what I should wear for the first day.  I know that the bank is business attire, but what would be too dressy?  I want to appear dressed-up, professional and ready to work/make a good impression, but I also don't want to over do it.  Thoughts?  Would a  skirt or pant suit be too much?  What about coordinating pants and jacket/blazer or would it be better to go with a sweater?

2. drpennypincher profile image94
    drpennypincherposted 4 years ago

Congratulations on your new job!  I would think back to your job interview and maybe wear something similar to what your boss was wearing.  If you dress up more than your boss, that may be over doing it.  Good luck!

1. profile image72
      ElleBeeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I thought of this also, however I never interviewed in the branch I actually work in so that added to the confusion.

3. MrsGray32 profile image60
    MrsGray32posted 4 years ago

If I were you ( I am a bank teller) I would go to that bank and just view what others are wearing and or review their dress code.  Its going to be a first impression so you want to wear a style that you plan on wearing.  You can wear a skirt or pant suit that would be fine.  As would Jacket/ blazer.  You want to wear something that looks professional however you want to be comfortable in it.  You don't want to be tugging at your clothes all day, its distracting. Also wear something appropriate for the weather. Nothing worse then sweating it out all day or freezing. 
    Best of luck to you!

4. CraftytotheCore profile image84
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

I'm in the Northeast.  Here the ladies dress in slacks and a blouse.  Not always long-sleeve.  Sometimes short-sleeve, as well as a blazer.  The women that do the loans wear skirts and blouses/sweaters.  I know it's different for different parts of the country/world, so that's all I know.  They dress comfortably.  Comfortable shoes are a must.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I ditto MrsGray's suggestion. You don't have to dress exactly like the other tellers, but seeing what they wear will give a good idea how you should dress.

working