What is the first lie you remember telling?

1. Christa Swope profile image35
    Christa Swopeposted 4 years ago

What is the first lie you remember telling?

2. tanncann profile image68
    tanncannposted 4 years ago

Ironically, the first lie I remember telling was at my first confession when I was 7 years old.  We were told by our Catechism teacher that each of us in our class had to confess three sins.  At that age, I really did not understand what a sin really was.  When I asked, she told me to confess any lies I told my parents.  Well, my parents were super strict, we were taught never to lie and if we did lie, we were told we would get beat.  This was a big fear among my brother and me.  So no matter what we did, we always told the truth.  I did not know what to do, so I asked some of my fellow classmates what they were going to say.  So when it came time, I told the priest that I stole a cookie from the cookie jar, hit my brother and lied to my parents about it, and that I lied to my parents about how the mud got on my shoes last week.  I can say I left the confessional with fear, I was so afraid that since I had made up lies during confession, that when I got home I was going to get a beaten.  I also thought that when I left the confessional that someone would be waiting outside with a paddle to give us our punishment.  I did not realize, at that time, you were given prayers to say as your penance.

working